Towing vehicle: Outlander or Rexton?

ejdmacf

Visit site
Hi, I’m looking to change my car for one that can tow a trailer (IW 505/6) and my IDx (600kg approx). Narrowed it down to two; a Mitsubishi Outlander diesel 4WD or SsangYyong Rexton. The first appeals because it’s compact and more like my current family car but the SY appeals because I can tow two horses and drag my friend everywhere with me! Does anyone have experience of either and the pros and cons. Thanks ?

holeymoley

Visit site
No experience of either other than through friends. I know a few that tow with the rexton and say it’s brilliant. Never seen anyone tow with an outlander. I quite like the outlander myself but I’m sure when I looked at it there was a reason I thought against it.

dixie

Visit site
I have a Rexton and it is brilliant. I’ve had it about 5yrs now and it’s never let me down. I tow 511 and regularly tow horses and it doesn’t miss a beat.
I can’t think of any negatives. Perhaps that the new model is a bit bulky as they’ve made them wider.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Rexton. I have 2016 2.2 litre model and its great, if you get one get the automatic! The outlander isn't really powerful enough in my opinion!

Sealine

Visit site
Another vote for the Rexton. I have a 2018 2.2 litre automatic to tow a 511. I've had this combo for a couple of years now and I can't fault it.

teach

Visit site
Bought a Rexton (2018) at the end of July and love it! It’s a dream towing (even with 2 big horses in the trailer!) and we’ve just done 1000 miles in it on holiday and still in love with it!

Trouper

Visit site
Saw a snippet in the paper the other day saying SSangyong company may be in trouble so would be concerned about spares etc going forward. Not sure how true this is.

Renvers

Visit site
I know a few people who tow with a Rexton and sing their praises. I will look to get one next tim eI change car.

I had also heard that Ssangyong in Korea is in trouble due to downturn in 4x4/SUV market but was making announcements about restructuring, the article i read suggested that Ssangyong in the UK is currently ok

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe, our local dealer has already switched to another brand of car and we were told technicians are being retrained and redeployed so there will be a delay in getting a small fault fixed. We won’t be buying another Mitsubishi.

ejdmacf

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. The Rexton does seem the better option as I’d love to be able to tow my friends horse too and make outings more social but will definitely have a look into the longevity of the company!

phizz4

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about Mitsubishi going out of Europe. There are plenty of Saab's left on the road and they don't exist as a company any more, same with Defenders. There is a big fan base for Shogun's so the parts and servicing will be available for many years to come.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Mitsubishi have only left the car market, they make so much more than that so there are always going to be garages plus a string aftermarket of parts and servicing - we’ve just sold our 2nd outlander and purchased a shogun sport. Outlander is a super tow car but watch your payload - both were cheap to run and fantastic mpg. Shogun is much bigger vehicle, tows another ton but I’m not a fan of auto boxes and most newer cars have them (he loves his shogun but I preferred the outlander and best tow car in my opinion is my personal 18 yr old SWB Isuzu trooper - just superb and such a shame not made any more- I’ve driven my friends Isuzu pickup and that’s lovely, when trooper eventually dies ? I’d have one in a heartbeat)

Himself has test driven the SSang Yong and liked it but was concerned about plunging resale values as he isn’t allowed a car older than 5 for work but if a drive til it dies car like I tend to have then worth considering and other worry was availability of dealers

ihatework

Visit site
IMO the outlander is the best towing option from the smaller SUVs for a one horse owner. I bought mine based on 3 other friends and haven’t regretted it. Think it’s the best car I’ve ever owned for reliability and performance. I’ve had it almost 6 years and out the best part of 100k on it (incl some towing miles) and it hasn’t had a big bill yet.

That said, it is only a 2T limit so you do need to check your set up carefully.

You’ll want a 2.2 diesel model under 2018, the newer cars don’t have the same capacity.

dixie

Visit site
What's the Rexton like for long-term reliability. Anyone on here with a 15 year old one with 200+ miles on the clock?
What's it like getting parts?

Mine is 7 yrs old (I've had it 6 yrs) and done just over 100k miles. I haven't had any issues with it yet - apart from it telling me is 40 degrees outside all the time atm!!
I have a brilliant local Rexton dealer and they've not had any issues getting parts for me - but then saying that, I've not had to have anything major.