Towing vehicles - Ford Kuga

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We tow my horse (and will add a mini Shetland) in an Ifor Williams 505 with a Ford Kuga. Hubby drives, says it’s fine, but you can feel when it’s towing.

It’s a great all round car for us, he takes it to work, German Shepard fits nicely in the boot etc.

Reactions: Nt9

ZondaR

Visit site
My friend has one. He tows an Ifor Willims 506 with an 18h ID. No problems at all. But it must be said, pre corona, it was maybe twice a month and he wouldn't go anywhere that is more than an hour distance away. He highly recommends it.

poacher82

Visit site
Yep, I've been towing with a 2.0l diesel Kuga for three years - one 15hh 510kg horse in an Ifor 505. No problems, always felt well up to the job. The only thing was that the rear end (springs, I think the OH said?!) was a bit soft compared to a 'real' 4x4, so the trailer nose did look like it sat a bit low, but I never felt a difference. I once added a 14hh 450kg pony in to the equation, have to say I was glad that journey was only a couple of miles and I never towed them both together with it again. Sadly has now been replaced (company car) with something smaller, but we are looking at replacing our personal vehicle with an older (ok, cheaper!) Kuga so we can tow.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I have towed 13.2 pony in an IW trailer with mine. Even though it can tow up to 2100kg, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that weight wise.

Annagain

Visit site
http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/ford/ford-kuga/
With a kerbweight of 1716kg, the Ford has an 85% match figure of 1459kg. (Recommended, not a legal requirement).
The legal towing limit is 2100kg (whether you choose a manual or an auto), and the noseweight limit is 100kg. Does depend on the engine version.

The 85% rule applies to caravans (usually single axle and much longer) not horse trailers so is a red herring. Capacity wise (with the correct model) it would tow most trailers with one horse or even two depending on size. I can't comment on performance as never towed with one but if you google "Kuga towing reviews" it seems to do well.

JGC

Visit site
We towed with an older one (I'm thinking it was a 2010 model) with one horse and it was brilliant, but I think the more recent ones have slightly less capacity.