Towing with a Rava 4?

GinaB

Visit site
I thought the Rav 4's weren't a suitable towing vehicle? I stand to be corrected though
smile.gif

Baileyhoss

Visit site
not really, their permitted towing weight is only 1500kg.

our IW weighs 1170kg, so that doesn't leave enough for horse, people, tack, hay water etc.

saskia295

Visit site
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!! They are way too light and don't have enough 'balls' so to speak. You might as well tow with a clio!!!

ladyt25

Visit site
My answer would just be NO! I am sure people do do it but I am also sure the vehicle is not suitable. Although i am not sure about the new larger Ravs? I saw someone at an event last weekend who'd towed a trailer with the new LWB Vitara which i assume would be about the same as the Rav 4?. They only were towing with one horse in and I would think that'd be safe enough but to be honest I'd want something heftier.

Theresa_F

Visit site
When I bought my little Bateson Derby the dealer said they were popular with people with one pony or small horse as they could tow them with these cars and this trailer.

Would not use them on the bigger trailers or for a big horse

birchave0

Visit site
My friend used to tow her new Richardson trailer with hers, with one TB mare (16hh) in, it destroyed the rear axle!!!!
shocked.gif

It towed maybe three times a month max.
it was also quite a new Rav4 (it was a company car), but when they tried to claim on the warranty Toyota kicked off and accused them of towing more weight than the car was capable of. Big row, Toyota finally caved in and replaced the axle but she now has a Nissan Navara.
I would check with Toyota and ask them for the safe towing limits, I suppose it also depends what you are towing
grin.gif

elliegirl12

Visit site
we did have one but it struggled just with the trailer and struggled alot on hills with a 15hh in it i would go for something with a 2.5l engine unless you are towing a pony dont go anywhere near it
smile.gif

Sooty

Visit site
I have one of the older ones and it is full time four wheel drive, but they did bring out one called the nrg which is two wheel drive. I use mine for towing, but would never tow anything the weight of a horse trailer (or even a caravan!) with it. Strictly small trailers.

RachelB

Visit site
My friend tows a lightweight trailer and lightweight horse. It copes, and various people (including Toyota themselves) confirmed that the weight of her horse plus the weight of her trailer would be under the limit. TBH I'm convinced it's not. I have a RAV4 myself and there's no WAY I'd tow a live animal with it, it's just not safe.