Towing with a van

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

Does anyone tow with a van? How do you find it? We have a Ford Transit 2.0 litre and an Ifor Williams 401. Would be towing a 500kg cob.

Thanks
Tegan

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I tow with a 3.5 boss horsebox...and I tow a small caravan for us to sleep in at Polocrosse tournaments...ans I too get mistaken for a traveller!!!! But towing is easy once I had few lessons... And I don't have to reverse too often!!!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
A local horsebox mechanic was towing his son's pony in the trailer behind his work van, with his wife behind pulling a caravan behind a Defender. The police pulled them over on suspicion of being off to an illegal traveller site!

Tegan

Visit site
Yes, I realise that especially as one cob is coloured. However, it might be our only way of getting out and about this year. Main concern is whether it is a safe set up and also whether the length is a problem. Just checked and van is actually 2.2 litre. It would be my mum driving and she passed her test before 1997.

Thanks
Tegan

Procrastination

Visit site
Haven't got my trailer yet but when I do I'll be towing a 505 with a VW transporter. Will be quite a long set up but not all that much longer than a big pickup plus trailer really!

CBFan

Visit site
My dad uses his ford transit to tow my 17.2hh gelding and an Ifor 510 with no trouble at all... but yes, we do get mistaken for 'travellers' sometimes... We just laugh it off! :)

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
This is me towing my caravan
75aecb7c6b25930ef8bd8da012542a4e.jpg

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it could be doable then. Think I have husband convinced as long as shows are on a Sunday when he is not at work. What sort of price is it to have a tow bar fitted?

Thanks
Tegan

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks. The last one we had fitted was £150 but as you say that was at least 10 years ago so thought it would have gone up.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Not sure if you/husband has to towed before - especially as the van will obscure your view of the trailer I'd highly recommend a short towing course, even if you have the right licence already.

And you'll need a tow hitch cover and a hitch and/or wheel lock for the trailer too of course.

pennyturner

Visit site
The police might make assumptions, so it might be worth making sure you have proof of ownership of the trailer and horse in the van!

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks. My mum would be driving and has towed lots before but with a Freelander (now dead hence this post). She has not driven the van before though so will practice without trailer and with the trailer empty first. Have had the trailer for years so sorted with the hitch and wheel locks thanks. Good point on proof of ownership. Always travel with horses passports but will take van docs too.

Tegan

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It's no problem, DH and i both have V.Movano vans, mine is a horsebox and his a lwb high top.
Both have tow hitches on and he tows a long caravan, i have occasionally stuck a trailer on the back.
Never a prob, but DO make sure you are totally legal as vans towing anything are a fuzz magnet ;)

Orangehorse

Visit site
The most important thing is that the tow bar is strong enough, so make sure they know that it is for a horse box and not a little car trailer!

pansymouse

Visit site
My friend tows with her work van (she a rug washer and repairer) - she says it's easier than with a car. The van is badged crew cab so there's no issue with mistaken identity.

Turks

Visit site
I tow a 511 with a LWB T5 VW Transporter and really like it. You have a better view of the road as you're a bit higher and it has good big mirrors. Ours is a camper and so has more windows. I would struggle on some awkward junctions/manoeuvres without. It wouldn't pull me out of the mud like a proper 4x4 but its coped better than expected. Not much difference size-wise than a lot of 4x4s and I have a living compartment with curtains and blacked out windows to change it - what's not to like!