Towing with an Audi Q5!?

WillowTree21

Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry I know it’s been done to death & I have read loads of threads, but none that quite answer my query.

Does anyone tow a 505 with a Audi Q5? I know it depends on the model but I haven’t got one yet, so open to suggestions.

I like the Q3 but don’t think it will be man enough to tow the 2 horses.

I’ll be towing a 16.1 TB & 15.2 appy X cob.

I’m looking for a day to day car so not terrible on fuel, not mega on tax & reliable. Budget 10K. Any others recommendations welcomed!

Thanks!

Michen

Visit site
I think they are meant to be ok but to tow two I decided on a proper meaty 4wd. Very pleased with my Touareg and they are the same if not cheaper price wise I think.

Coblette

Visit site
I’m looking at swapping my disco for a Q5 (the 2.4tonne tow capacity) but that’s only because I’m only ever towing 1 large pony. I’d say you need a towing limit of 3.5ton to take 2x horses which The Q5 isn’t up to.

Wheels

Visit site
I wouldn't use a Q5 personally for 2 horses. If you like Audi then the Q7 and Q8 go up to 3.5t but again some models tow more than others.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I’d want 3.5tonnes for towing two. Friend towed her small horse and my large pony down the road once (literally down the road, was dark otherwise would have hacked!) with a car that had 2 tonne and it didn’t feel good. I didn’t really know about towing at the time but declined going again until she got a more suitable car!

winnie

Visit site
I have a Q5 to tow one cob in a 505 but have towed 2 with no problems at all. Wouldn't have known there was any extra weight behind. Love the car. It is the 3l diesel automatic version. But perhaps better to go for something with a bigger towing capacity.

phizz4

Visit site
I know that some people rubbish this advice but I still adhere to the recommendation that the weight of trailer and horses is no more than 85% of the weight of the car. My A4 Allroad, which is similar to the Q5, weighs 1800 kg and has a towing capacity of 2100 kg towing limit but no way would I attempt to tow our 1000 kg trailer and two 475 kg quarter horses. The engine would cope but there is the real danger of the tail wagging the dog. One horse would be ok.