Towing with Jeep Cherokee (NOT the grand!)

Jess004

New User
Visit site
Hi!

I'm looking to purchase a towing vehicle that will also be used for day to day errands. I would absolutely love a Jeep Cherokee- specifically looking at a 2015 2.0 CRD Limited Auto 4WD (s/s) 5dr. But I have never seen anyone towing horses with this, which makes me a bit nervous. On paper it can tow 2475 with 170bhp, and id only be towing a lightweight trailer and a 550kg horse, so well within range. But I also know on paper versus towing in real life can be very different!

So does anyone have any experience with a regular Jeep Cherokee? Would love the grand but its not economical enough for day to day use.

I've also looked are the Tiguan and Sorento, and whilst they're great, I find them a bit ugly and I would like to feel proud of my car!

Thanks!

dixie

Visit site
Yes I have and it was brilliant.
really loved that car and it towed effortlessly.

I towed a 510 with either one or two horses.
I also had a grand Cherokee which was another level up again and was lush. It was very thirsty though

palo1

Visit site
I loved my Jeep Cherokee for towing; it was an absolute beast and easily towed 2 big horses (well 1 17hh and 1 x 16 hh). We also used it for towing cattle and sheep. I much preferred it to my Shogun though I had a 2.5 litre CRD Jeep Cherokee and I have a 2.0 litre Shogun so probably not quite comparable. The engines in the Jeep really are brilliant but they don't have a brilliant reputation for reliability and ours did have a series of faults which were irritating. The joke that JEEP stands for Just Enough Essential Parts is born out of reality but I still think ours was pretty decent. If you can find a good one they tend to be cheap to buy though you may have to spend money on maintenance. My Shogun is better in that respect and nicer in terms of the way the boot lid works for tack etc.

silv

Visit site
I have known a couple of people with them, whilst they tow well and are nice to look at etc, they seem to never be out the garage with problems, it is also my understanding that they are expensive to fix.

Jess004

New User
Visit site
Yes I have and it was brilliant.
really loved that car and it towed effortlessly.

I towed a 510 with either one or two horses.
I also had a grand Cherokee which was another level up again and was lush. It was very thirsty though

did you have the same model as above or different? as I know they have quite a few variants! Thats great to hear though!

Jess004

New User
Visit site
I have known a couple of people with them, whilst they tow well and are nice to look at etc, they seem to never be out the garage with problems, it is also my understanding that they are expensive to fix.

thats no good- a reason why I crossed the disco sport off my list. seems like the Sorento and Tiguan are most reliable too

Jess004

New User
Visit site
I loved my Jeep Cherokee for towing; it was an absolute beast and easily towed 2 big horses (well 1 17hh and 1 x 16 hh). We also used it for towing cattle and sheep. I much preferred it to my Shogun though I had a 2.5 litre CRD Jeep Cherokee and I have a 2.0 litre Shogun so probably not quite comparable. The engines in the Jeep really are brilliant but they don't have a brilliant reputation for reliability and ours did have a series of faults which were irritating. The joke that JEEP stands for Just Enough Essential Parts is born out of reality but I still think ours was pretty decent. If you can find a good one they tend to be cheap to buy though you may have to spend money on maintenance. My Shogun is better in that respect and nicer in terms of the way the boot lid works for tack etc.

yes thats another concern- the unreliability! thank you

ameeyal

Visit site
have you considered the grand cherokee that’s been modified to lpg, I have had the grands for years , the petrol engines are much better than the diesels, I’ve now got a 5.7 hemi that runs on lpg I tow all the time and it does really well ( I haven’t worked out how many miles it does )