Towing with Jeep Grand Cherokee 3litre

scribble

Visit site
As my Kia Sorento has blown its gearbox up e have managed to source a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes engine and gearbox with only 45,000 on the clock immaculate. It has a detachable jeep tow bar on it completely unused. Does anyone tow with one of these tow bars, what are they like? Any tips etc.

alainax

Visit site
I had an 06 plate for 7 or so years, absolute beast at towing. Endless power. Only issue was you had to remember you were actually pulling something!

No idea on the detachable tow bar though.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
We had a detachable Witter towbar on a Jeep Cherokee. Always left it locked on, didn't bother detaching it and we didn't have a problem. I do like Jeeps for towing - now have a Compass.

Andalucian

Visit site
I have the same Jeep, with a detachable towbar. Love it, I specifically sought it as my choice of 4x4.
The detachable tow bar is fine, although mine came without a key, so I can't lock it!!! I remove it when I'm not towing.
There is a tiny bit of play in it versus a fixed towbar, but not a problem once you're used to it.

pixie27

Visit site
I have a detachable tow bar on my Cherokee, never had any issues. Fab car to tow with so imagine the Grand Cherokee is excellent.

ETA - there are companies who can supply/fit 'proper' tow bars - I looked at having a permanent one put on but never got round to it.