Towing with Kia Sorento

blitznbobs

Visit site
We have towed one with a sorrento and a 511 but I wouldn't want to tow 2 if its a new one - it may be over weight and it's a bit underpowered for that job. if its one of the old ones you'll probably be fine.

w1bbler

Visit site
Modern, from about 09 have either 2 or 2.5 tonne toe capacity, so not up to towing a 511.
Older one then highly recommend

phizz4

Visit site
A 511 weighs 1000 kg empty. 2 big horses will be at least 1100 kg and probably more. The weights of Kia Sorento's vary between about 1919 kg (2010 model) and 2079 kg (2003 + model) for a 5 door auto. A manual will weigh less. Even if the engine is powerful enough (as stated, the old 2.5 is better) there would still be the real danger of the tail wagging the dog.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have a 2005 Kia Sorento XS manual which pulls 2800kg. The autos tow less. I tow a HB506 with a 450kg welsh cob & a 650kg warmblood no issue at all, BUT what I will say is that the clutch does start to smell a bit on long inclines even with just one on board, the car just doesn't like it - it's bearable for what I do as I tend to avoid those routes & if I do its a rare occasion - but I wouldn't like to face a hill like that loaded with 2 large horses. You'd be better off with something with a 3500kg capacity.

ROG

Visit site
A 511 weighs 1000 kg empty. 2 big horses will be at least 1100 kg and probably more. The weights of Kia Sorento's vary between about 1919 kg (2010 model) and 2079 kg (2003 + model) for a 5 door auto. A manual will weigh less. Even if the engine is powerful enough (as stated, the old 2.5 is better) there would still be the real danger of the tail wagging the dog.
Does the car weigh that little when towing? - I think not because with 2 people + tack etc it is going to weigh much more

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For towing two big horses regularly and on mixed terrain, including decent hills, I'd always recommend a proper 3.5t tow vehicle. For occasional use for shorter journeys and flattish roads then a soft roader like the Sorrento is probably ok if the tow limit allows.

paddi22

Visit site
i had a kia sorrento for a few years and I wouldn't get one again for towing. I had the 2.5 and I never thought it felt strong enough up hills when pulling two horses. Its 4 wheel drive was rubbish, and it if you had to ever reverse up a slow you could just smell the clutch struggling. It also seemed to go through an insane amount of oil compared tto other brands. The engine also went on it and needed to be completely repkaced. When that engine went I just gave up on them. I wouldn't touch one again personally.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I had a 2003 with a tow weight of 2.8t. towed beautifully all over the place, all terrains, ie eventing with one large 16.3 warmblood and at times with two large 16.3 warmbloods on board. No issues at all, although I had a lighter bateson Ascot that are amazing to tow rather than the heavier IW.

idx

Visit site
I had a kia sorento 59 2009 automatic xe which had a 3.5 tonne towing capacity. You need to check the year and model carefully as the towing capacity changes as does the tax you pay mine was £540!

Sealine

Visit site
I had an 08 plate sorento with a towing capacity of 3500kg. I couldn’t fault it. Regularly towed two big hunters in a 511 off a muddy field in the middle of winter. I wouldn’t tow with the newer model sorento.

alibali

Visit site
I've a 14 plate Sorrento and tow a Cheval 2003 which is much lighter than an IW with an approx 450kg Arab and a 200kg Welsh A. It copes fine with that but is a little underpowered on long/steep hills. I wouldn't countenance an towing with anything much heavier behind it. I do live on hilly Scotland tho! Edited to add the older Sorrento's are much better tow vehicles than the new models

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have an older Sorento with the higher braked capicity (they dont make them anymore!) and its a dream to tow with. I have a Richardson trailer and two hefty, leg in each corner type, sports horses (16.1 and 16.2) I barely notice I'm towing with one but you notice with two but that isnt anything negative at all. Love my Sorento but I did have to go for the older model to get the towing capacity I wanted so its by no means posh!

alexomahony

Visit site
I LOVE towing with my 2005 manual Sorento - but I have a Bateson Deauville which, again is lighter than the IW. I usually tow a 15 hander (Welsh D) and a 14.2 Connie (sporty), but also often tow a 16.2 warmblood with my welsh as well and never notice the difference with the bigger horse on. Currently, I wouldn't ever plan at looking at anything else.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I have a 2015 Kia Sorento and tow a 511 with two 16.1hh in it with no problem. I have the manual though which has a higher tow capacity. The auto may struggle. I am in Scotland so I have to tow up hills and it is fine. The unladen weight of the trailer is 100kg so it does leave a fair bit spare for horses.