Towing with SWB?

sonjafoers

Visit site
Apologies if this has been done before but I’m looking for some simple easy to understand info as I’m confused by conflicting info online.

I am thinking of trading in my lwb ‘06 Land Cruiser for the new 2018 commercial Land Cruiser. It’s towing capacity is quoted as the same as the lwb but I’m struggling to see how it could tow the same and more importantly brake as well as the heavier vehicle.
I will be towing a 1,000kg Ifor Williams 510 mainly with one 500kg horse in but occasionally 2 x 500kg horses.
This seems within the legal limit from what I can make out but can anyone comment whether the car is man enough for the job please.

Wheels

Visit site
I tow with a SWB landcruiser - yes it's plenty stable enough, yes it has plenty of oomph and yes it's well up to the job.

I like towing with it because the overall length of car plus trailer is shorter, easier to manoeuvre, easier to park (both with the trailer and without) etc.

But it's size is also a problem as there isn't much room in the boot. My back seats are permanently folded down as I rarely carry passengers but if I did need passenger space it would annoy me having to keep putting them up and down (or does the commercial not have back seats?)

sonjafoers

Visit site
Excellent Wheels, thank you for replying especially as the reason I need to change to the swb is because Im struggling to get out of my yard. I’ve already swapped from an Equi Trek to an IW trailer because it’s shorter but I could do with going shorter still so am thinking the swb will be the answer.
The commercial Land Cruiser has no seats at all, the whole back area is flat and rubber coated so is ideal for throwing tack, wet dogs etc in!
Do you tow 2 horses with yours and if so does it brake ok? I can’t test drive this because there’s no tow hitch on the demonstrator I’m trying and it’s worrying me a bit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we towed with a 02 SWB terrano, because mum couldn't face anything bigger at the time. I do think sometimes they can be a little trickier reversing but I didn't find it much different to a LWB when you get used to it.

We had two horses and a 505 on it regularly, was a bit short on space for tack if we were taking more than one passenger but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Thank you Ester, it’s good to hear positive experiences. I think I’ve just got to get my head around the fact they can do the job!
Splashgirl45 the Defender would be my next choice if I don’t get on with the land cruiser, it’s just a matter of finding one. I know they’re definitely up to the job!

{97702}

Visit site
Apart from my Disco, the best towing vehicle I've had was a SWB Vauxhall Frontera! It had a 3 litre engine and was fab,

I would always have a Landrover over any other vehicle, preferably a Disco as I am older now and like the comfort but I've had 90 and 110 Defenders and love them too

sonjafoers

Visit site
The Disco is too long Levrier, I really need a swb to enable me to get out of my yard.
Thanks Wheels, you’re convincing me!!

Wheels

Visit site
Lévrier;13827801 said:
Apart from my Disco, the best towing vehicle I've had was a SWB Vauxhall Frontera! It had a 3 litre engine and was fab,

I would always have a Landrover over any other vehicle, preferably a Disco as I am older now and like the comfort but I've had 90 and 110 Defenders and love them too

Lol and I would have almost anything over a land rover!

turnbuckle

Visit site
With a £28,000 sticker price, I reckon you could get a smart little 3.5T wagon and a nearly new hatchback for everyday. Both better suited to their work....

sonjafoers

Visit site
I need a 4wd turnbuckle plus space for two large dogs so a hatchback wouldn’t work for me. I’m not sure a 3.5t would take both my horses legally nor am I sure it would get out of my yard. I’d love a lorry but having given it a lot of thought I don’t think it would work.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Thank you, it’s all sounding positive for the swb, I’m testing tomorrow so I feel a bit more confident now. I hadn’t really thought about the Shogun but it’s another to consider if the land cruiser is no good