Towing with Van!

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm getting to the point where I stay away more at shows and clinics and really need something with live in.

However, I'm reluctant to buy a lorry as I'll need to do another test (trailer test passed previously) , i love my hbx and the horse travels amazingly well in it. My husband also thinks lorries are money pits and I don't have 100s of k to spend on one.

So I was considering buying something like a Mercedes-Benz Long Wheel Based Sprinter that I could kit out with what I wanted as a camper. My husband is very handy and happy to do this.

However, I'm concerned about the towing experience of such a big van. I currently tow with a pickup.

We would keep the small 4x4 as our daily driver so I could use this for lessons etc and the camper for away shows, which generally require quite a bit of motorway miles.

Can anyone offer me any advice of experiences?

Thanks

phizz4

Visit site
The VW transporters/combi vans can tow between 2,200 and 2,500 kg. They are available in long wheelbase and 4 wheel drive if you can afford it, which would be worth having.

Moogleberry

Visit site
I tow a 511 with a VW Transporter 4 motion which can pull 2,500kg tows 2 cobby types really well and good to manoeuvre …might not be enough space though compared to the Sprinter ?

Kat

Visit site
You could convert your pick up. Depends a bit how much space you want but have a look at demountable campers for pick-ups. There are pop up versions. At a lower budget you can get tents that fit in the bed of the pickup (truck tents).

Annagain

Visit site
VW Transporters are easy to convert (with lots of off the shelf kit available) but very expensive as they are fashionable at the moment. A Fiat Ducato is the van that most motorhomes are based on so I'd maybe take a look at one of those. I have the medium wheel base one (6m) as a motorhome and it's great. If it's just something basic for one or two people you're after, you could even go for the short wheel base (5.4m) which might be handier for manoeuvring in tight spots. We don't have a tow bar on the motorhome as if I go anywhere to stay overnight with the horses I go with my friend. I take the horses and my friend takes her caravan.

Widgeon

Visit site
If it's just something basic for one or two people you're after, you could even go for the short wheel base (5.4m) which might be handier for manoeuvring in tight spots.

That's not much is it? It's only 70cm longer than my elderly Volvo tow car! Sounds very handy.

sunnyone

Visit site
We converted a Citroen Jumper van to use as a small motorhome and towed our IW a lot with it, but only took 1 horse in the trailer. The rest of the time it took awkward shopping and the dog.
Spend lots of time planning what you want, buy a reference book such as John Withenshaws "Build you own Motorcaravan". We really, really enjoyed the result and it had no problems with going over the Pyrenees several times.