Toyota HiLux - any good towing?

tda

Visit site
Hi does anyone have a Hi-Lux for towing - how does it do? any any repair problems?

I have an Ifor Williams HB505 and two dales ponies. And we live on a farm track on a slope so needs to pull well.

Any advise gratefully rec'd

ihatework

Visit site
They are good tough allround trucks.
I used to have one going back a few years now, it was a 2.4 and was a little under powered, but tough and reliable

kal40

Visit site
My dad has an invincible which he uses for towing both caravan and trailer (511 and trail trekka) and my sister has a hl3 tows two horses in the 511 no problem.

Both vehicles are great on fuel. Much better than my ranger. I love them and both my sister and dad say they wouldn't have anything else.

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
We run 6 on the fleet and I have to say they are not the bulletproof trucks that they once were but much better than the Navaras that they replaced, they seem to tow Okay.

EventingMum

Visit site
I have one (a 2011) which we have as a tow vehicle to use in emergencies as we tend to use the lorry most of the time. I've towed a 511 with it with no problems at all, longest journey being a 140 mile round trip to pick up a horse. My son has a new Ford Ranger and to be honest although the Ranger has all the toys on it I think the HiLux feels more strongly built and as we don't do a high mileage I can see us having it for years to come.

Alyth

Visit site
I have my second Hi Lux Surf (I like to sleep in the back at clinics etc) The first was a 2.4 and as has been said didn't have any 'guts'!! My present Surf is a 3 litre and I am very happy with it. It is a '94 so quite old and I have just started towing 2, one horse and one pony instead of just one pony. It's not too bad, but I am having to use the 2 setting (auto) consciously now....I would love to upgrade to a newer version but can't financially at the moment!! Surfs (Hi Lux) are the best!!

leflynn

Visit site
We have a 2003 hilux (bit battered round the edges) but it tows a treat - 1 x fat cob (15.3) and 1 x TB (15.3). It oftens has 2-4 of us in, plus the dog in the back with a couple of saddles/boots. OH has chipped it so it has a bit more power and it never ever seems to struggle on wet/icy lanes/hills. Plus the heater is amazing so like after sunday we managed to dry out in the cab after being soaked to my pants :D

we have an Ifor 505 too and it is a vast improvement on our old landrover