Tracing Missing Loan Horse- TIA

MHOL

Visit site
Hi All,

A bit of an update (although not much...)

Yesterday I got an email from Nedesha who had Tya on loan, she is going to return Tya's passport to me today by post. So once that arrives I can flag her as lost on her passport & microchip. As her microchip number is on her passport, my vet says it should be very difficult for whoever had her now to get a new passport made, although there are always ways and means i suppose.

The horse that someone thought was Tya at a yard in Barnet doesn't look too promising, they've sent me a photo and it doesnt look like her. The face marknig isn't right. So the search continues. I can't see her having gone too far out of the area, though.

Fingers crossed for more news soon.
can you keep us updated rather than having to read this on a forum, it would make it so much easier if you kept in contact, we are dealing with so many cases. :)

sarahpaton

Visit site
sorry, didnt realsie you guys were on the case as i've not heard anything! Will send over full info direct when the passport arrives :)

MHOL

Visit site
sorry, didnt realsie you guys were on the case as i've not heard anything! Will send over full info direct when the passport arrives :)

We are waiting for you ;-) we have so many cases we can't keep in touch with everyone on a daily basis unless they contact us. Look forward to hearing from you

CeeBee

Visit site
Good luck with your search, although as someone else said, all sounds a bit fishy. Wonder if the passport turns up or if it will go missing in the post ....

sarahpaton

Visit site
Hi All,

Unfortunately, still no news. Nedesha has sent back Tya's passport, so I have that at least. But obviously, this means she was sold without any documents so can't have bene re-registered or anything. She is mocrochipped, so hopefully now I've flagged her as stolen with the microchip company something may eventually come of that.

I'm sure she will ahve been sold to someone in the same area to where she was, it's just a case of finding someone that remembers her arriving at their yard or something.

Fingers crossed for a bit more luck soon...x

CeeBee

Visit site
Progress report!!

We've taken a huge leap forward in finding her- some of the loanee's friends have found the page and made contact with her. So Nedesha should be calling me on her return from Jamaica this week!!! They are also saying that they have spoken to her and she thought that I had picked the horse up, not that she was sold on. So jumping to no conclusions just yet...

All a bit of a 2 sided story, catch up on the fb page a few posts up if you like, far too long a story for one post!

But either way, the horse was taken (by sale, theft, or some method) in the middle of the night (maybe) with no passport (maybe) and very undercondition (according to the yard owner).

We are now looking only for the horse, not Nedesha. So again, any info appreciated.

So the loaner thought that you had simply popped down in the middle of the night and picked the horse up? Did she just turn up at the yard one morning and find the horse wasn't there and didn't follow it up with anyone?
How could she think that you had picked the horse up when you didn't even know she had moved yards?
Very, very strange indeed. Hope you have some positive news soon.

sarahpaton

Visit site
it would seem so! It's all a very odd situation- i had the lady that owned the yard at the time contact me to say the horse disappeared with its tack in the night and she thought Nedesha had jsut done a moonlight flit, and Nedesha says she received a text from someone claiming they were me saying they would pick the horse up the next day.

There's definitely a missing piece to the puzzle. Either way, she must have been sold to someone who knew it was a bit dodgy as she went with no passport- personally I'd definitely question that!! And if she was collected overnight...

EmmasMummy

Visit site
What about seeing if any local small papers will run a wee piece on it with a photo? You never know, a walker or someone could spot her somewhere?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Actually on that note Chiltern and Thames rider is read by everyone in the area. Maybe something in the classifieds.

FWIW this obviously wasn't random, someone knew the horse well enough to know which tack to take and that there wasn't enough of an interest being taken in her to spot that something wasn't right and immediately raise an alarm.

Whoever it was know Tia was on loan and had Ned's number to text her and tell her that Tia was being picked up.

sarahpaton

Visit site
you're right Criso, whoever it was knew she was supposed to be returned from loan, and i would guess knew her because she was a nightmare for strangers to catch. Im sure someone would have noticed her being chased around the field at night if it was someone new. Would also explain why the lack of passport wasn't an issue.

Chiltern & Thames is also a good idea- Might also be worth getting names of the local tack shops and feed merchants to look at putting adverts up in those too. She does have quite a distinctive face, so hopefully someone will recognise her.

The only thing is, if the person who has her now sees all the adverts- will she get hidden or moved somewhere more private to prevent me finding her?! bit of a vicious circle! All depends if they took her knowing it was dodgy, or she was sold on to someone innocent who may be willing to come forward i suppose.

Fools Motto

Visit site
If she was sold on, who sold her? Nedesha? or YO? or who?
It sounds really dodgy.

ETA;
Why don't you ask around the local vets? Maybe she has been treated for something or had a new passport made for her? If the vets can't give out info Ask if you can put up posters at the vets, someone may come forward with the missing link? #Same applies for the farriers.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
What a strange story, someone can supposedly enter a yard overnight get into a locked? tackroom take only the correct tack, find the horse in a field load it and disappear with no one realising that this was theft.
There must be something more than this the person must be known to either the loaner or YO it is not just a simple case of theft. I think I would be visiting the yard for a bit of a discussion with the yard owner and a meeting face to face with the loaner.
Is the mare insured, if so what is the view of the insurance company they must have an opinion on what to do regarding trying to trace her, an ad in H&H as well as more local publications would be worth trying.
As she is microchipped your best hope is that a vet will find it when a new passport is required by whoever ends up with her.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Did you say you had spoken to the police about it? Surely now that it is getting more weird and the story is rather suspicious then its clear something illegal has gone on? I cant believe that the loanee was dim enough to believe you jsut came and took her back.............and gotten all her stuff from a locked tack room.
Just sounds so much like porkies to me.

I would bet that she has sold her, and used the money for a ticket to where ever she is now?

sarahpaton

Visit site
Fools motto- i'm really not too sure, its a case of whoever i speak to blaming someone else and coming up with another story! its so hard when im missing so much info and the loanee has moved abroad. The YO did send me a an email telling her side of the story (basically that she'd called Ned to tell her she needed to make sure she was visiting the horse daily and pay her rent, and a week later the horse disappeared with her stuff), but then when someone on the facebook page suggested it may have something to do with the YO, she went quiet and didnt want anything else to do with it. Could be that she had taken offence after trying to help, or could be that she didnt want to drop herself in it. Who knows... at the moment im ruling nothing out.

be positive- i think im going to get some posters made up with pics & her microchip number etc on there, and get them circulated around local tack shops, vets, feed merchants...and yes farriers- great plan! hadnt thought of that, but someone HAS to be shoeing her no matter how well hidden she may be!!! and im sure they'll remember her- she has a passion for booting anyone that touches her back feet. Unfortunately, it was part of the loan arrangement that the loanee would insure her (yes, i now realise that is NOT the best way...im so annoyed with myself for being so naive in the first place.). Im hoping now her microchip is flagged eventually it will have to be read. Although maybe not any time soon.

Emmasmummy- i think now i have the passport etc back, i may try the police again and explain the horse is not really missing on loan any more- one way or another she has been sold without my knowledge which has to be seen as theft surely? Maybe some contact with the police might get the loanee or YO to recall a few more details than they have for me...

Im really grateful for some of the bright ideas you guys are coming up with, so nice to have the perspective of others too. So thank you all :)

cally6008

www.tracingequines.co.uk
get in touch with police, ask them for a reference number for your phone call
then .. details can be added to stolen horse register :)

edit to add - tell the police you want a crime reference number for your stolen tack as well

Last edited:

sarahpaton

Visit site
you know Cally, I'd not even considered that I can get a crime reference for the tack! Just didn't cross my mind as I'd only really thought about getting the horse back! I think i may even have the receipt for the saddle as it was brand new when i put her on loan, so I might even have the number stamped on the saddle flap listed on the invoice. Even if I can track the saddle down, I can find out who sold that...which might just lead to who sold the horse. Thanks :) Will give the police ANOTHER call...and be a bit more forceful rather than letting them palm me off with the civil matter malarkey again.

CeeBee

Visit site
Just realised you said Tya was at Burtonhole. I was at that yard many, many years ago and obviously things may have changed. But when I was there, there was only turnout for a couple of months in the summer and the rest of the time horses were stabled. It was a very long walk through woods to the field - you wouldn't really have known it was there unless someone showed you. Anyway, I am still friends with someone who was there for a long time after me. They may still have contacts there. I'll see if she might know anything.

MHOL

Visit site
Fools motto- i'm really not too sure, its a case of whoever i speak to blaming someone else and coming up with another story! its so hard when im missing so much info and the loanee has moved abroad. The YO did send me a an email telling her side of the story (basically that she'd called Ned to tell her she needed to make sure she was visiting the horse daily and pay her rent, and a week later the horse disappeared with her stuff), but then when someone on the facebook page suggested it may have something to do with the YO, she went quiet and didnt want anything else to do with it. Could be that she had taken offence after trying to help, or could be that she didnt want to drop herself in it. Who knows... at the moment im ruling nothing out.

be positive- i think im going to get some posters made up with pics & her microchip number etc on there, and get them circulated around local tack shops, vets, feed merchants...and yes farriers- great plan! hadnt thought of that, but someone HAS to be shoeing her no matter how well hidden she may be!!! and im sure they'll remember her- she has a passion for booting anyone that touches her back feet. Unfortunately, it was part of the loan arrangement that the loanee would insure her (yes, i now realise that is NOT the best way...im so annoyed with myself for being so naive in the first place.). Im hoping now her microchip is flagged eventually it will have to be read. Although maybe not any time soon.

Emmasmummy- i think now i have the passport etc back, i may try the police again and explain the horse is not really missing on loan any more- one way or another she has been sold without my knowledge which has to be seen as theft surely? Maybe some contact with the police might get the loanee or YO to recall a few more details than they have for me...

Im really grateful for some of the bright ideas you guys are coming up with, so nice to have the perspective of others too. So thank you all :)

Do you still want our help? I seem to find out more from updates on here, you do have options, contact us if you want us to help :)

Katie

sarahpaton

Visit site
Hi Katie,

I do send updates to MHOL when anything happens, but since her microchip number etc has arrived and I sent all of that info over, there hasnt really been an update to give! it's all a bit quiet. So just trying to work out ways of circulating the info. Have been putting together an ad for local shops and things but haven't yet finishedit or sent it out...so not much update for MHOL! I didn't get any response to my last mail wth her microchip number etc, so assumed you'd just put the info on file.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am very close to both the yards your horse was stabled at.
I also know the owners so would be quite happy to pop in and find out what realy occured.
If you would like me to do so then please contact me by PM giving me your telephone number and E-mail address.

sarahpaton

Visit site
Hi All,

A little update for you- It appears that Tya did NOT disappear from Burtonhole- only Nedesha's other horse was based there. Tya was in fact kept at a little yard called "Colney Heath Farm" owned by a lady named Susie, and this is where she 'disappeared' from.

Apologies for any confusion, very hard to get the full facts in this case!!

OWLIE185

Visit site
Please go to a police station immediately and report the theft of your horse and tack. Ask for an incident number as this will ensure it has been entered in to their system. Keep a record of the incident number.
Please ensure that your horses record on www.nedonline.co.uk is changed to stolen. Also ensure that your horses record on www.nedonline.co.uk includes the microchip number as anyone can then search the microchip number and will come up with your horses record as you as the owner and see it is stolen.
Please report the theft of your horse to horsewatch. You will need the incident number and microchip number etc.