Track System/Paddock Paradise on rented land (only grass)?

TakeNoRoses

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone help me? I would like to try installing a track system around one of the fields (about an acre) for summer use (when it won't get too wet as the bottom is boggy). It incorporates a small wooded area and a gentle and steeper hill. I'm also thinking of putting up some 1ft hurdles in a few areas and water at only one end of the track. The only thing is as I rent I won't be able to change the ground at all, it has to only be a grass track.

Would it still work to toughen up my mare's hooves? I know it'll help keep her fit and active and build muscle going up and down the hill, which is good, so it'll still be useful. Can I strip graze random areas around the track (with a muzzle) rather than feed hay? Would two ponies on the track be enough (I can't have any more)?

Thank you for any advice/tips/stories of success! :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is still good for them imo - ours was just grass and they definitely walk more.
as for 2 ponies we had 2 round the edge of 3 acres - but they started with just one side and worked their way round for a bit until it was established. So one acre would be fine.
Re. strip grazing we would push a few fence posts in every day so they had a bit of fresh graze in a couple of spots then pull them out again to let it grow - most of the centre was then cut for hay - which is a problem if you want to school in your field! - are you planning on circular? just as you say water at one end and a complete track wouldn't have an end :)

amandap

Visit site
Sounds a fab field with wooded areas and hills! Ideal. Keep the track fairly narrow with open areas in places they like to rest, feed and water areas and at any corners. Good luck.

dollyanna

Visit site
I changed to a track at the end of last year when I moved fields - the old ones couldn't have had a track. My new one has a steepish hill at one end but is just a field, no woodland etc. My two are rising 3, never shod, but feet were slowly deteriorating despite everything I could do, but within a few weeks of moving there was a huge improvement and they haven't looked back. They move round all the time, far more than they ever did before, and their feet are superb even with flooded fields and the wet we have had this winter. I would say definitely worth it, even if it is just on grass, the extra movement pays off massively.

maree t

Visit site
I have been thinking about doing the same thing . Our field is completely flat which isnt helpful but we have high hedges and woodland as our boundaries. Problem I have is I dont keep all 5 in together . I have two lamanitics and two youngsters and one normal !! . Not sure about putting a track system in half one side and half the other with the lami guys on a really thin strip . Problem then that one lot wont have shade if I do it that way as I will have to maintain a driveway through the middle. Still umming and ahhing over how best to set it up. may just have to start and see .

melissa1971

Visit site
I set up a track last year in total to walk round it is .6 of a mile and I see the ponies one side then the other so many times through the day so they do walk a lot more than just in a paddock. My middle field is split into 5 winter paddocks which I will leave to grow now till winter for standing hay worked out really well last winter. So having a track has worked out for the best all round

Fransurrey

Visit site
For a hard area, you can get the roll out grass protector matting. I'm thinking of doing this in my paddocks, as for 4/5 of the year, I have to limit their grazing and neither are shod. Or, if you have a shelter, how about putting pea shingle or similar in there?