Track systems - do they work for losing weight?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Have not read all replies however 1.5 acres seems a big area to have them on over summer? My two fatty ponies are literally in less than a quarter of an acre and are supplemented with a bit of soaked hay and straw. It would be extremely difficult to keep their weight down if they had free roam of 1.5 acres.

Does it? On that 1.5 acres though there is a 3 large stable block and a big hardcore area out the front (where their hay is in the winter) along with the corners fenced off slightly as trees growing so they wont actually get 1.5 acres of grass if that makes sense? They're probably realistically on 1 acre and thats two horses 15.3hh and 16hh. Never had any issue in previous years but they'd always lost weight over the winter which set them up fine for the summer.

Reactions: DD

NLPM

Visit site
I absolutely LOVE looking at Gawsworth and AbbottsView on Facebook. I have real track envy. Tiddlypom, your place looks fabulous too!

I am putting a small track on mine soon, just as soon as the fence-wrecker moves to another paddock. There's no point putting up plastic posts and electric fencing (or posts with electric tape, or stock...) whilst she's in there.

Leandy

Visit site
And please feed less over winter than you did last winter. Wasn't it obvious that he was putting on weight? I really do believe feeding is not rocket science. They put on weight, feed less, they lose weight, feed more. There is a bit of an obsession that it is kinder for them to be able to munch all the time and that horses should be fed ad lib forage because they are grazing animals. Clearly it is better for their digestion and mental health that they can pick at something most of the time but that doesn't mean you need to overfeed. It is just as important to keep an eye on weight. Feed by eye and feed little and often if ad lib is too much. If they are putting on weight reduce the amount fed a bit. Consider it week by week. It isn't good to leave it until you need to make radical adjustments.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that is a great idea with optimum effect with minimum effort.
I also wanted to say how impressed I am with those lovely circles in the arena!
Haha, thanks. The neds do get a lot more exercise with the new set up. The tracks in the arena are from walking a rehabbing horse in hand round the perimeter over poles, and the twiddly bits in the middle are from the changes of rein! The only ridden work currently done in there is when I get on at the mounting block and ride across to the gate to go out for a hack.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Yes! Check out Gawsworth Track Livery on fb, Beth shares loads of info and advice. My boy went for a three month holiday last year to recover from hind end lami and it worked a treat.

w1bbler

Visit site
And please feed less over winter than you did last winter. Wasn't it obvious that he was putting on weight? I really do believe feeding is not rocket science. They put on weight, feed less, they lose weight, feed more. There is a bit of an obsession that it is kinder for them to be able to munch all the time and that horses should be fed ad lib forage because they are grazing animals. Clearly it is better for their digestion and mental health that they can pick at something most of the time but that doesn't mean you need to overfeed. It is just as important to keep an eye on weight. Feed by eye and feed little and often if ad lib is too much. If they are putting on weight reduce the amount fed a bit. Consider it week by week. It isn't good to leave it until you need to make radical adjustments.
I think a lot of us were caught out by the mild winter.
I didn't feed any hay over winter. Mine don't get hard feed. I'd normally need to feed hay, but instead I was still strip grazing as spring arrived & they hadn't lost any weight over winter.
Has made this year a real struggle 😪