Trackers for Dogs

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
After having to retrieve the small thing again from the neighbour's, who thankfully are very understanding, despite having put up chicken wire all over the place, I'm thinking a tracker would be a Very Good Idea indeed!

I know I mooted it a while ago. but then she stopped going walkabout and I forgot about them.

Need something that works well when there's limited mobile coverage and in thick undergrowth with much tree cover. Would be grand if it also alerted when the perimeter fence was breached by the small goblin!

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have a PawFit which I’ve been pleased with.

I think it does everything you’ve asked for. It’s survived swimming and bashing through the undergrowth. Stays charged for about 6 days and does let you know when they’ve left a perimeter.

My only quibble is that it sends a location update every 10 seconds. My spaniel can cover a lot of ground in that time.

Petalpoos

Visit site
I used a tracker when my dog was younger, but had exactly the problems that you are trying to avoid, i.e. no good without a mobile signal and did not work when the dog was in dense woods. When it did work, it was at least good for letting me know that the dog was not heading for a road, but I finally decided it was safer just to keep her on a long line most of the time as I would not take the risk of her ending up in a field of sheep.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We had a Tractive for the cat.
when it worked it was amazingly good and very accurate. I set a perimeter and used to get a alarm if he went through it. You had to check in and see where they were otherwise (quite addictive!)
The cat ones are a collar which of course are quick release so he used to loose it constantly and it wasn’t easy to find.
The dog ones fit to a collar so in theory you only get the good bits.
You buy the tracker which works of gps so never lost signal and then pay a yearly subscription.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I really like my tractive but I'm not sure it's best for places with limited signal. I've certainly had it "cut out" in some parts of the peaks and Pembrokeshire. There are a couple of older threads on here that had some good recommendations for limited signal areas, if you search it should come up.

danda

Visit site
I understand that the “Apple” airtags can have a special thing holding them so can be attached to a collar but have not got one so cannot comment further

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I really like my tractive but I'm not sure it's best for places with limited signal. I've certainly had it "cut out" in some parts of the peaks and Pembrokeshire. There are a couple of older threads on here that had some good recommendations for limited signal areas, if you search it should come up.
I suppose that’s another cat v dog difference! My cat never came on holiday!

On the Hoof

Visit site
WE use the Findster Duo for our dog off leash in woodland. It does not rely on phone signal and you can set perimeters so that it alerts you when dog goes outside set areas. It came off once (attached to top of her harness) and I didnt notice for some while but easily found it using the radar function. It is expensive compared to some others but it does not have a monthly fee like the Tractive so after one year it will work out cheaper than those with monthly fees.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
WE use the Findster Duo for our dog off leash in woodland. It does not rely on phone signal and you can set perimeters so that it alerts you when dog goes outside set areas. It came off once (attached to top of her harness) and I didnt notice for some while but easily found it using the radar function. It is expensive compared to some others but it does not have a monthly fee like the Tractive so after one year it will work out cheaper than those with monthly fees.
How big/heavy is it?

On the Hoof

Visit site
How big/heavy is it?
its square, about 4.5cm x 4.5cm and 1.5cm deep. I would guess and say it weighs about 15-20 gms. You have to carry a similar module in your pocket as they 'talk' to each other when switched on, although you only use your phone to do the tracking. It is not very heavy . I have a tiny border collie (she is still in her original puppy collar and she is now 2 years old !) and was concerned myself about weight and size of the tracker, I have to say that I couldnt imagine putting it on her collar though so I put it on her harness.