Traditional cob mane cleaning tips?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Afternoon,

*we are not in a flu risk county and pony vaccinated last month with correct vacs*

Don't laugh uproarasly but I want to take Cobbler to an in hand show over the next few weekends (choice of 4 in next 4 weeks is ace) she has 4 white feathery legs which am ok with washing etc and big bushy tail which will try and get as clean as possible but what do I do with her mane? It's mostly white and is dirty mainly at the roots. Should I wash it? I can wash the day before and put a hood on her to dry buy will it not just go poofy? Should I wash few days before and time out with full neck rain sheet to keep it clean? Would stain remover at roots work?

Not washing full body as she's very hairy but she scrubs up v well will Haas brushes and I'll just have to hope they don't want to pat her 😊😂

IMG-20181228-WA0025.jpg

blitznbobs

Visit site
Scrubbing it is the only way I’ve found of getting mane clean - I just stick a load of conditioner on it to stop it being puffy the other option is to plait it but I don’t like the wavy effect personally

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would wash the tail then permanently keep it in a tail bag it's so much easier than trying to get it white every time you go to a show, I just use the cheap tie on ones from eBay for my Arabs, the mane if you get a warm day wash it then keep spraying it or plait it, I don't have cobs but know a few people that do and that's what they do.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sparkle spray for hooves but if his really hairy I wouldn't bother you won't even see them, if his got white hooves get some fine sandpaper and just rub them until the stains come off, I do this with mine as his back feet are white and Arab shows only allow clear hoof polish so they have to be clean.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I have some clear hoof spray will do that for her feet then. Some are white feet and some are black and her feathers are a bit patchy in places so they will be see-able :)

Another controversial question.......chalk on feathers or no chalk?!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have some clear hoof spray will do that for her feet then. Some are white feet and some are black and her feathers are a bit patchy in places so they will be see-able :)

Another controversial question.......chalk on feathers or no chalk?!

I use white spray and brush it thru — and then if I’ve just got one class sparkle spray on top. If you’ve got more than one class do NOT use sparkle spray on any hairy part as dirt sticks to it and they look filthy again after a while but they do look fab for about an hour after application so if just one class it’s worth it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When I worked with show cobs years ago we used to chalk the legs sometimes use paste on the lower legs and bandage over night, then would travel in the bandages and touch up and clean any dirty bits in the morning.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
What is sparkle spray? Take it its not glitter?! Classes are in an indoor school so anything sticky would def be a bad idea :)

Also what is white spray?

I have some leg wraps to travel pony in to keep feathers clean and working on finding a decent tail bag :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
They are both products made by supreme neither are cheap. ‘White spray is basically aerosol chalk. If they have a lot of feather chalk can make their feathers look less soft and flippy so looks not nice. spray is lighter so doesn’t do that but needs to be carefully brushed thru so that their legs don’t just look painted . Sparkle spray is an oil based product that just makes things shiny but it grabs the dirt also deffo wouldn’t use it indoors.

I suggest having a run thru cos using chalk or any products needs practice to look good - also if you are going to use a chalk product the paste method is best with a hairy. Mix powder with water the day before and apply thickly (paint on) to feathers and spats if they have them bandage legs and leave Over night. Next day brush it all out leaving feathers cleaner and whiter. This is very messy to do so don’t do it in your show clothes

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with blitznbobs it's a lovely product for showing I use it everywhere it just makes horses gleam, but if you use too much it can be oily, if your indoors don't put anything on hooves and the feathers will get Sandy but everyone is in the same boat, I will try and find where I got my last tail bags from my normal supplier seems to have stopped making them.