Traditional coloured cob, grooming....

Emeraldmeadow

Visit site
I have just got a traditional coloured cob and have no idea about grooming, can anyone give me some advice please?

Do you leave mane and tail permanently plaited at home for ease?

How often to do you brush mane and tail and what with?

What's all this about pig oil?!

I will be showing. Only used to shps!

Thanks v much in advance.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
It a learning curve !!

Personally I leave my horses mane down, I only plait if it's hot. Tail I did try and tie up away from mud but in the end I just left it and washed it. I'm on clay and it can be a nightmare, I used to just wash off with a hose most evenings and wash completely at the weekend, leave overnight and then brush in pig oil the next morning. Pig oil will be your saviour ( it doesn't come from pigs, it's used on pigs :) ) It just stops the worst building up. In the summer I'd stop using pig oil and use mane and tail, because pig oil can make the white areas yellow. Use pig oil and sulphur to try and keep mites away. Just keep on top of it and it's okay :)and

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=711014182429962&id=100005641607850

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
Do you leave mane and tail permanently plaited at home for ease?

How often to do you brush mane and tail and what with?

What's all this about pig oil?!

I always plait her mane if it's hot, and often in winter too in the vain hopes of keeping it mud free. Her tail I never plait, although I'm going to change that this winter as at the end of last winter I had to chop an awful lot of mud dreadlocks off the bottom.

Her mane and tail aren't brushed very often at all, and don't look any the worse for it really. When plaited, they're only done once the plaits come out. I just use a brush and a few squirts of mane and tail conditioner on them.

Pig oil I haven't used, but her feathers were a muddy mess last year. Although they're fine again now, I'm going to give it a try this year, as I've heard lots of wonderful things about it.

What I do may sound overly simplistic, but she looks like this with barely any maintenance, so I think it works for us.

bUmYpUs.jpg

Please ignore the baby belly - she's not actually morbidly obese, just has a real broodmare tummy!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't brush the mane and tail hardly ever it just pulls it out, in winter if the mane is really muddy i just pick it off with my hands using a tail bag will keep the tail clean and save you a huge amount of time trying to get it white each time you wash it, I don't have cobs but I have Arabs and they have there hair left natural so I have an idea about long manes and tails both mine have tail bags on constantly they only come off to be washed or for a show.

meleeka

Visit site
If you must brush a human paddle brush is the best I've found for manes and tails.
Mine is low maintenance really, I just run my fingers though his mane and brush the top part of his tail. The bottom is so thick it only gets a good brush if he's going somewhere.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Don't plat cobbus' mane or tail. I comb oil through the feathers every week so it repels mud and is meant to repel feather mites to. I bath her every three months or so using blue washing up liquid on white bits. I think she looks quite presentable. I use Tesco own conditioner through her mane and tail when washing and baby shampoo to wash. Her feathers, mane and tail are combed at least every two days.
PTPMEHD.jpg