Traditional Welsh Section D's?

Doogal

Visit site
I have been told mine is "old type" and has good breeding. He has a straight profile and quite a large head. He is also a lot longer and leaner than a lot of welshies I have seen in the show ring.

I have never showed him but I am guessing he wouldn't do well as a lot of people don't even recognise him as welsh!

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
A lot of judges do still like the old fashioned type, although it also depends what you consider to be old fashioned. I would say that last years RW winner Abergavenny Morning Queen was very old type with a big and more coarse head. The main thing is that she really moved, as long as they can really move it doesn't matter to many judges whether they are old type or not.

1Anastasia

Visit site
My mare is considered to be the old fashioned type, they are generally shorter and stockier than the more modern sports horse types and my mare has quite a big head too with a full sized bridle on a 14.1 body.(some of them have very arab type dished profiles these days. My mare takes 6ft 3 rugs which at her height gives you some idea of her body size. Different judges like different things but I would say that the in-hand classes are generally dominated by the more traditional cobs whilst the ridden is more variable, again depending on the judges preference. If you're looking for photos of more traditional examples have a look at Danaway, Trevallion, Llanarth stud just of the top of my head, if you want the sportier type then Derwen, Mayesmenach, Sydenham cobs seem to more often fit that description. All good in their own right and great at what they do so no right or wrong about it at all and if you are thinking of showing then check out the judges preference before hand as many will also be breeders so you will have a good idea what they are looking for.
Showing wise my mare has done extremely well at County level under saddle and in-hand, she drives as well but I've never shown her in harness.
Annie3yrs.jpg

Emma S

Visit site
One of my old boys was an 'old type' Sec D.

Much chunkier in bone and body, quite a big more Cobby type head and definitely a 'leg at each corner' sort.

Would have another one any day, if I find a pic of him I'll post one :)

CMequestrian

Visit site

Above is the stamp that I've only ever really known.
Such a great breed, my mum owned a very traditional sort and my current youngster is also of the above stamp...
Is the knee action still desired? Can someone tell me more about the sort with the dished heads and not such a high knee action? Why is this? I may be wrong, but a good 10 years back when my mum was showing her welsh, they were all very traditional?

Thanks for the replies

CMequestrian

Visit site
Gorgeous stallion, what's his name? Any pics of your mare? I love section D's, I've got a Welsh D youngster, who is the less traditional type as has he has a fairly dished profile.

Penarth Faro. When I look at her breeding most are pulling a cart as the pictures go further back haha.

Got far too many of my mare, but only one I can find on this laptop is below. She's only 2 and has tripled in bulk rather than size since a yearling.