Traditional Wooden Horsebox

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Hello,

I have been nervously looking for a 6.5 ton first timer horsebox & have found one at Priory Stud which is a traditional wooden one. It has been totally refurbed internally, replaced onto a Isuzo T reg low mileage chassis. I really do like the box & very much trust the guys selling it but am slightly nervous about the traditional wood exterior, I have been told that a once a year varnish will preserve its condition, but is there anything else I need to be aware of. I am local to the garage so they know I would be taking it there for testing etc so am happy about the work they have carried out but just would like to be doubly sure of what I am getting into!! Buying a horsebox is such a minefiled with so much to consider, I am happy with the unladen weight side of things & everything else appears very genuine but should I be checking into anything else.

Thank you so much for any advice forthcoming.

Shay

Visit site
That really is the main problem with them - they are very heavy. As long as they are checked and maintained properly they are no more risky than a metal sided box. But you do have to keep checking - mind you you should check a metal sided one too!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thankyou Shay & Blurr I will certainly check the payload again, its such a nerve racking decision & I love this forum for advice you
really do learn so much from it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It really is the weight that's the problem, it doesn't matter how many horses it's partitioned for, some of the wooden ones are so heavy unladen it's ridiculous! Remember it's not just the weight of your horse, but you and your passengers, tack, water, fuel, etc etc. I think wooden boxes are lovely, and maintenance wise no more difficult to look after than modern ones, but I wouldn't buy a box I couldn't carry the amount of horses it's partitioned for in, and be under the weight.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would suspect that it will not allow the cab to tilt which will increase servicing costs. (Check that the chassis cab is meant to tilt).
You are best to store the vehicle under cover as this will preserve the varnish and prevent bright sunshine from damaging it.
(Oakleys at High Cross in Ware Hertfordshire on the A10 are experts in re-varnishing them as they originally built a lot of them).

popsdosh

Visit site
I would suspect that it will not allow the cab to tilt which will increase servicing costs. (Check that the chassis cab is meant to tilt).
You are best to store the vehicle under cover as this will preserve the varnish and prevent bright sunshine from damaging it.
(Oakleys at High Cross in Ware Hertfordshire on the A10 are experts in re-varnishing them as they originally built a lot of them).

Likely to be low payload as the 6.5t is based on their 7.5t chasis . Most 6.5 on the market are based on lighter chasis so very often a 6.5 will have a higher payload than a 7.5 that is not the case with these .
So be careful, parts can be a total nightmare for them as well