Traffic issues with new horse

smiggy

Visit site
I have a horse on loan with view to buy, had her almost a month, hacked out lots alone and in company, had a lesson,schooled a bit, taken to a low key competition. All great, bombproof bold and forward going to hack. She is 6 but backed late and not worked regularly in previous home due to owners health.
Today went out with another horse, halfway round hack today on a lane a big van came past, I think it worried her because she hadnt realised it was a van not a car (neither had I ) and she leapt sideways and span a bit, almost falling down a ditch. It was a bit of an overreaction but I thought fair enough it crept up on her. Sods law the next vehicle was a massive tractor with trailer, so we asked it to stop and trotted to a gateway where I could turn her to face it, she stood calmly while it went past.A couple of cars went past at lowish speed and she felt a bit tense each time (normally doesnt flick an ear) but getting more wound up with each car (its a lane so minutes between cars not a stream). escalated to the point of exploding sideways and forwards when she saw/heard a car. tried her in front and behind other horse (who was staying calm) didnt make any odds. got to the point of having to get cars to stop and ride past or get off the lane to let them past. Totally unsafe behaviour.
I just dont understand where this has come from, yes the van worried her but it wasnt terrible, sort of thing that could happen any hack out really.
Not sure the way forward either really, dont want to risk either of us in traffic again at this point.
Thoughts?

smiggy

Visit site
yes its just odd because we have met tractors and big vehicles in the last few weeks and been fine, and the hacking she did do in her previous home involved quarry lorries.
not sure how to get that experience though if she is going to be silly with cars, not safe to go on road really?

POLLDARK

Visit site
I've found that young horses take reassurance from being held firmly by your leg, sort of cuddled almost, not kicked or anything. Might be useful:)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Agree with AM - the more she does it the better she will get. My hacking now consists of European car transporters coming up and down the lanes to prodrive every 15 minutes after Warwick council giving planning permission a few weeks ago (so angry!!) and now he has seen a couple he isn't bothered in the slightest :)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Read your last reply - are you getting tense without knowing it? When I feel tense out hacking when things come past (arctic lorries, tractors, combines etc) I hold on to my reins tight but hands slightly forward so they can't feel tension through the reins. But if anything happens just quickly pull back and you've got them if they try to do anything. Or sing humpty dumpty.....

smiggy

Visit site
RS-thanks, thought about that but dont think so, I had no reason to tense up the first few times as I had no idea that she would get wound up by the cars, and after that was more taken up by managing the situation, ie getting cars to stop, than worrying about it!
I suppose I would have to lead her out in traffic, thats the only safeish option I can think of? Though she is a bit of a thug (in that there is a lot of her) and I would be a bit concerned about losing control

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I wouldn't lead if it were me, just because she could jump on you or knock you off balance and around a car that is the last thing you want. Could you find a relatively controlled environment (even the field would do), where you can get a friend to drive a car past her until she's settled and then move out onto the lane and do the same thing?

autumn7

Visit site
Don't underestimate hormones with a mare. Both mine can be like this (both cob mares, one now retired). She has maybe a couple of random days now and then when her senses seems 'heightened' and she'll be super sensitive to things when she (in my opinion) totally over reacts and will remain in this high alert state for the entire ride.
Next day she's her usual self, all forgotten, sensible head screwed on again.

The fact that this behaviour has taken you by surprise since you've hacked her out meeting traffic beforehand with no problems suggests very much to me that this was just 'one of those days'.
In your shoes I'd just choose a day sooner rather than later but when you feel positive, choose a well known short route that involves a road at a sensible time of day, ie not too busy but when you get the odd vehicle passing, and stick today to the back of your mind TOTALLY and hack her out again, new day and all that! I'll bet your boots it was just her frame of mind on THIS particular day. Sounds like my mare's all over and they're as safe as houses as I'm sure your girl will prove to be. Takes a long time to fully trust a new partnership too!

Do let us know how you progress, she does sound lovely.

PS. For this first time is there anyone that could just follow you at a distance on a bike to give you moral support from afar, as it were? Whatever, ensure you're in a relaxed/nonchalant mood so no vibes for madam to pick up on.

Last edited:

smiggy

Visit site
Autumn-think you might be spot on, she was shouting to the others in the field when I brought her in and when we got back, and yes she was more alert from the off.
Flipping hormones!

ladyt25

Visit site
I would just try and remain calm and go out again with another horse. She just sounds like she got a bit spooked and worried. She is still young so plenty of time to improve. Horses can't be perfect, most have one thing at least you have to nanny them through a bit. I would also suggest establishing some ground work with her and work on containing the flight response - if she spooks and tries to dart away you need to be firm, ask for halt, for her to step back and stand by the spooky object - you can set up some scary things. With my pony he is not great with anything bigger than a van but with him it's more about space than the actual vehicle - he sees something big and worries the space on his side is jot enough. He is loads better on main roads or when a large vehicle comes from behind as hr doesn't have the chance to think about it then. Something to consider - if the road is narrow then maybe try her on a bit of a wider one of possible or, if not, try make as much space as you can - ie walk her on the verge/pavement when the car's passing

lhotse

Visit site
I had this with my mare back in the winter, a flatbed truck came past us too quick on a narrow lane, heading towards us, and my mare felt she had nowhere to go and spun into the hedge. She scared herself, and when we met a large 4x4 next, she did the same, which then scared me. I took her out next day with a very bombproof horse and she was fine, but then after that, everytime I saw a vehicle larger than a car, I was expecting a reaction, and guess what? I got one, not spinning but certainly backing off. She is very sensitive, and she could feel me hesitate. So, I decided that it was neither the vehicles nor the horse that was the problem, but me. So it was down to me to sort it. Ignore the vehicle, and the mare ignored it, focus on it and she reacted.

So, even though you might not think that you are reacting to seeing the car, you probably are, and the horse can sense that something is up. So, next time you see a car coming, start singing a song and get the legs on and ride positively, and ignore the fact that the car is there (obviously thank the driver with a smile) and I think you will find that it's just a bit of a blip in a young horse's progress.

CBFan

Visit site
She is only 6 years old... and a very young one at that. She has had a little scare that has knocked her confidence. Completely normal.

I would do some in hand work with her - take her up to stationary cars (yours) and let her sniff and investigate them, reasuring her as you do, find a van and a tractor if poss and do the same with those, anything large or scary looking, do the same with those. turn the engine on on your car and get someone to rev the engine, wait til she is calm and reassured and then get them to drive past you slowly.

you could also take her out in-hand - in a bridle, roller and sidereins, you walk on her right so youre between her and the traffic and position yourself in the road so that traffic has to slow down virtually to a stop before you move over and let them pass. Communicate with them with hand signals and verbally so that they know you're not deliberately trying to wind them up!!

I found turning my youngster to face the traffic, very beneficial - they can see things clearer. and just be calm.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Remember your horse is a young horse and needs to get many hours of experince of being ridden on the road to become settled and relaxed in that environment.

I have had many years of experience of riding horses in serious traffic and getting used to spooky things (i.e. weekday Central London Traffic).

First thigs first get a long sleeved Hi-Viz Jacket so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals. Also if you have not done it do the BHS Road Safety Course as it will provide you with some useful tools to assist you when riding on the roads etc. Contact BHS for local courses in your area.

I would suggest that you first look at the feed and grass intake of your horse and drop both of them as in many cases your horses change in behaviour may be down to her feed or the grass causing her to bubble up and blow her mind.

You are lucky as you have long daylight hours now so take your horse out each day for an early morning (4.00 a.m.) two hour hack when there is little traffic about and reaqaint her to the hacking routes that you use. This daily routine should settle her down nicely. Once you have got her settled down then go out with some experienced horses again in weekday traffic and expose her to the larger vehicles again

Good luck!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I decided that it was neither the vehicles nor the horse that was the problem, but me. So it was down to me to sort it. Ignore the vehicle, and the mare ignored it, focus on it and she reacted.

So, even though you might not think that you are reacting to seeing the car, you probably are, and the horse can sense that something is up. So, next time you see a car coming, start singing a song and get the legs on and ride positively, and ignore the fact that the car is there (obviously thank the driver with a smile) and I think you will find that it's just a bit of a blip in a young horse's progress.

This ^^^ we sometimes have napping issues which i know are down to me seeing something and anticipating a reaction from my mare ... so I'm bound make her uneasy.

indie999

Visit site
I agree with Amymay practice basically that they will just be a normal part of occurance. If we didnt take a mare down the local highstreet for a few months they were awful. We often would go just so they had been once a week. When I got a new horse that I didnt know(although they tested fine on the pre purchase) I got someone to walk along with me even in the road if safe to just make sure the cars slowed down. I use to go out when the road was quiet to begin with. Even if they then accompany you on a pushbike etc. Make sure you wear hi viz etc too.

Or do a little at a time and build it up. But yes keep trying and trying.You are lucky you have an experienced calm horse to go with as well. Take them to visit a farm yard if you can etc. My boy hated my quad bike and would go beserk then I had trouble keeping him away from nibbling it!

The worse thing to do is to avoid the situation. But just do it on a quieter road if you can try to ask people to slow it down a bit.

smiggy

Visit site
Thanks all
I think my concern is that I have done the hack in company, hack alone, plenty of it and she was 100% ok, I would happily have ridden her through rush hour traffic on a main road.
Today she was throwing her toys out of the pram at the sight of a car which seems a bit extreme after a small fright. I have ridden much more flighty spooky horses who shy at invisible monsters in the hedge and not felt so unsafe. She felt almost like she would chuck herself at the car. I had to get every single car to stop in order to get past.
Im not sure she was actually that worried about the cars per se, more using them as an excuse for a strop-could be completely wrong of course.
I think I am too old to be potentially throwing myself under cars. The only roadwork we absolutely have to do is ten minutes down a country lane, and I could practise on that but my concern is a car coming round a bend a bit too fast for me to slow it down and her losing the plot.
My gut feeling is if I take her out on another day, when she is in a different mood, she will be back to 100%, but who knows?
thanks for all the advice, i will take it all on board and have a think, Owlie-4am hacks-you are much more comitted than me :D

smiggy

Visit site
ok update time. I took her out a few times on much quiter roads, lots of pats and reassurance and sahe was ok, could feel her anticipate a car a bit but nothing terrible.
Then went out on previous route with friend on sons horse, very capable and calm so could put her on the outside and go two abreast to both slow bigger vehicles and give her reassurance. Much better, again bit tense and the odd skitter forward a bit but happy with a pat and reassurance.
I then went away for two weeks and sent her to my instructors for two weeks schooling, including schooling on hacks. She said she was fine so I was really pleased.
Went out today on route with ten minutes on quiet lane. two cars from behind, fine, car from in front, fine then white campervan type thing came up from behind, I slowed it (sons horse was behind) fine, I was patting her and then just as it came level and she saw it, she leapt forward , span and almost canoned into sons horse. Very nearly caused a nasty accident.
I just dont know where to go from here, I dont feel worried about coming off, am used to spinning arabs, just worried that we are going to end up under a van.
Its so odd as otherwise she is so sensible, for instance on way home on bridleway, it had been sectioned off for cars with those plastic road barrier things and they were very tight and I caught one with my foot, dragged it a little and it fell over, lots of horses would have headed for the hills at that point but she just cantered a few strides forwards, i pulled her up and it was forgotten.
Seems to be really specific trigger of bigger vehicles (anything bigger than a car) coming up from behind and not sure what to do.

adamntitch

Visit site
you do say she was not worked regularly in her old home could it be shes just exicted and hyper to be out and about again

miss_wilson

Visit site
Very similar happened with my mare, she was great until an incident with a white van, not that it was an incident, but since then she has never been great with traffic, card she can cope with but vans, buses, trailers, caravans are very scary now! If you come across three answer please share, I have had this'd issue fit over years