Trail Hunting banned on NRW land

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
NRW is the first of the major national landowners to ban (as opposed to suspend) trail hunting after the Hankinson verdict.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-18...rs-natural-resources-wales-bans-trail-hunting

NRW is one of Britain’s biggest landowners. The government-sponsored agency manages 7% of Wales’ land area which includes 311,000 acres of woodlands.

Head of Land Stewardship at NRW, Dominic Driver, added: “In order to assure ourselves properly that trail hunting wasn’t being used as a cover for illegal activity, we would have to invest in skills and resources that we currently don’t have, to police it properly.

"Given what has historically been a minor use of the land we manage, this does not represent good use of our limited resources.”

A statement from the Hunting Office said: “Today the Hunting Office was informed of Natural Resources Wales’ (NRW) decision not to issue licences for trail hunting on its land. It is disappointing that NRW didn’t consult with the MFHA before making this decision however, we hope that further consultation may be possible following the review that we are currently conducting.”

Koweyka

Visit site
Well when you have the Huntmaster of the Dwyryd Hunt a convicted badger baiter running a hunt kennels still listed on the MFHA incidently, keeping dogs in such terrible conditions and also holding a fox in a cage…..anyone with a plausible explanation for that ….I am all ears. Why on earth would any landowner want trail hunting on their land.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-17...e-at-farm-after-concerns-about-animal-welfare

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'd never heard of the Dwyryd Hunt before , and tbh when the news item came up I presumed that it was one of the unregistered/unregulated Welsh packs that seem to exist.

But no, as above, it comes under MFHA auspices ?. Which will we all now know to be at best, and being very charitable, useless at enforcing good and legal practice.

What on earth was the Dwyryd Hunt really doing with a captive fox in a cage? Any answers suggesting that this was somehow in the best interests of the captive fox will be treated with the contempt they deserve.

Koweyka

Visit site
The fox was later put to sleep, yet another innocent victim of trail hunting.

Horses, hounds….foxes ….is there any creature that isn’t a victim of trail hunting, also to be an uptick in deer mauling by trail hunts this week.

It’s time they were all confined to kennels until someone gets a grip.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Oh so many years ago ,I loved to go hunting. I was ,and still am ,no fan of foxes . Vicious predators. But we all knew that those days were numbered. I think maybe ,most of the true hunting folk I knew have hung up their boots. I tried trail hunting but frankly ,was appalled by most (not all) of my companions. Not quite the right sort. And by this I mean ,not understanding the balance of nature in what we call the countryside ,but which is totally man made.Status and money seems to be so important now Money has no part in this. I remember a meet long ago when we had some kids from a riding school in Streatham join us. They were taken under the wing of "Tony" .He showed them the land and explained so many things to them , The only thing he absolutely left out was that he by luck of birth , owned all the land they could see. It was also on that meet that one of the St Reatham (sounds posher) ponys ran off past the field .past the master (Major Fulton) past hounds even . Tearful kid came back to accept his punishment of being sent home in disgrace. Major Fulton just said ,"I had a pony just like him when I was your age , terrors arnt they"The good days are gone, Lets just play trail hunting by the rules .

Koweyka

Visit site
i see on twitter that Hanky is appealing and going to be in Southwark crown court in April/May 2022.
This was always on the cards, I don’t see there being a different outcome. Either way they were damned and it keeps hunting in the public domain, pretty sure in the next six months plenty more scandals will appear.