Trail riding holiday - do I need chaps for my paddock boots?

jkitten

Visit site
Normally I ride in paddock boots and jodhpurs with no chaps, no particular reason, it's just what I've always done and never had a problem with it. However, I don't usually ride for very long stretches, generally 1.5 hours at most. This holiday is going to be 5-6 hours in the saddle daily for five days. Am I going to regret not wearing chaps, e.g. for chafing reasons or something like that? Thanks in advance!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes to half chaps. And padded cycling knickers.

Can I be nosey and ask who you're going with? I'm hoping to do a 2 day trail ride later this year. I thought that I might not be fit enough but I'm now thinking s0d it, just book it and go :D.

I'm looking for a lightweight rainproof jacket to pack. My current waterproof jacket is winter weight.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I can't ride for long without chaps but plenty of endurance riders don't need to so its not a given necessarily. think if you're not used to the long distances and hours in the saddle, I'd take a pair with me :)

staffylover

Visit site
A seatsaver would be my first essential item to take! Heather Moffett's one is memory foam and excellent. Perhaps just check with the organisers that they are happy for you to put it on your saddle. Riding in a different saddle, perhaps not as comfy or well fitting as your own, and for several hours, can make you very sore and bruised and really spoil your enjoyment. I speak from experience.

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
Definitely recommend chaps, and better to have them and not use them, than wish you had them. There are many lightweight options, some with ventilation, if you're off somewhere warm.
Looking forward to hearing about it - I'm starting to look at options as I can't go for another year without a riding holiday.

jkitten

Visit site
Thanks all, chaps it is! For the padded/seamless knickers, any recommendations would be much appreciated!

@Tiddlypom I am going with these folks here: https://www.wilderways.scot/ I'll be honest, a friend and I booked it spur of the moment last summer (there were only two slots left on the one we wanted) and I am nowhere *near* as fit as I had hoped to be by now. But as I'm already up the creek for the best part of a non-refundable grand and they also promise wonderful food, I am also going with 'sod it, you only live once!' Worst case hopefully I can cry uncle on one or two of the days if I really need to, but I'm hoping it'll all just click into place when I'm there (though I have booked the following week off work as well to recover!).

jkitten

Visit site
A seatsaver would be my first essential item to take! Heather Moffett's one is memory foam and excellent. Perhaps just check with the organisers that they are happy for you to put it on your saddle. Riding in a different saddle, perhaps not as comfy or well fitting as your own, and for several hours, can make you very sore and bruised and really spoil your enjoyment. I speak from experience.

Cross posted with you, thanks for the rec! Would you take a seat saver instead of padded knickers? My backside is a weird shape and padding tends to end up bunched, so I am inclined to go with seat saver plus seamless knickers if they will allow it.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I like to ride in half-chaps for long days in the saddle and I would recommend them, especially as it will be a saddle, stirrups etc. which you're not used to and you can get some pinching and rubs.

Personally I don't take seatsavers, padded knickers etc. and don't have a problem with the long hours in the saddle (despite not riding regularly at home) but it's really quite a personal thing and depends on many factors (like one's own conformation, haha). I would just say not to wear anything new - make sure your road-test whatever you decide upon before you go. Anti-chafing type creams can be a good extra precaution and don't forget to stretch when you get off!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I use Equetech padded shorts when I ride in a treed saddle not belonging to me. Wear half chaps-and agreed road test anything new.

And a write up please-have been considering going to wilder ways myself.

ponynutz

Visit site
Yes, definitely! I'd take layers too that you can tie around your waist - I remember being boiling so leaving my coat in the car, then got to the beach section and shivered the whole way down! Have fun :)