Trailer advice (my horse keeps falling)

stacey111

Visit site
Hello,

I'm in need of a bit of advice please I have my old horse back that I sold 15 years ago! We never had a problem with her in a trailer, but since I have had her back she won't travel I
My trailer? I have an Ifor williams and we have tried moving the partitions but when we move the trailer after about half a mile she falls and is scrambling about, even when we stop she still can't get her balance? She is not afrade of the trailer at all and loads first time ever time it's just when on the move!

I have a full breast bar on order in the hope to take the partition fully out, would this help? As she seems to put her full body weight on the centre partition and I'm worried without it she will fall and not get up?

Any advice is much appreciated

Stacey x

LickettySplit

Visit site
She needs more space to help her balance - horses like to spread their legs and if they can't do this they will attempt to lean. Taking the partition out is definitely your best option - full width breast & breech bars would be ideal but not essential.

I recently travelled with my youngster (3 yr old) completely loose in my 510 - he has never travelled before and turned to face backwards (top doors were closed). Didn't feel a peep out of him for the entire journey and at the other end he was completely calm, no sweat on him and quiet as a lamb.

HTH

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Get her hocks checked. My friends horse was exactly the same and it turned out to be Spavin. It showed up first when he stopped travelling well.

He now travels without the centre partition and he's fine with loads of space.

nemo_

Visit site
This is exactly the same problem I had with mine last year! I made a similar thread - http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=351919 and after trying most things we bought full breast and breaching bars, took out the partition and loosely cross tied him so he couldn't try to turn around. It worked! We haven't had any problems since and have been taking him all over the country. I hope you get it sorted, it's horrible when they fall over!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Our pony would only travel without the partition - she would tuck her bum into a corner and rest her back leg! If the partition was in she would refuse to load.

I think she made it quite clear what she preferred!

becca1305

Visit site
my mare did the same.. leans on the partition with her body and almost seems to give up supporting herself with her legs , scrabbling with them :confused: she also loads first time easily. she did this for a bit 2 years ago travelling on the right side and we fixed it by travelling her in the left, have you tried swapping sides? however a year on she started being an idiot in both sides so we were forced reluctantly to remove the centre partition in a full size 17.2hh-carrying Ifor williams. We cross tie her looseish so she cant turn round and she has support if something caused her to stumble with a front leg. We have a new lorry being built due end of sept and if we didnt I would defo invest in some form of breast bar at least as I feel it is safer and am currently nervous in terms of her safety if someone hit us.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Check your tyre pressures, my friends pony used to be a terrible traveller, she took her trailer for a service and all her tiyres were different pressure and none the right one ! he's fine now

ellie_e

Visit site
My old boys falls in the trailer unless the partition is completly removed, he has a full breast and bum bar and is happy as larry, a pain as you cant travel with anyone else but stops him falling over!!

stacey111

Visit site
Thank you all for yor replys, I have the full breast bar on order and my partner is taking the partition out at the weekend so I will keep you all posted!

We though of trying her on the left bit it was so traumatic that I didn't dare incase she hurt herself.

Thanks again Stacey x

Bluecat

Visit site
My horse started doing this too and its so fightening!He did twice and im too scared to travel him now. Id be interested to see if travelling without the partition helps.

becca1305

Visit site
Agree with above poster give it a go Bluecat mine was a nightmare so nerve wracking to watch - had to travel in with her (shhh :p) to hold her on her feet! ever since we removed the partition narry a whisper from the back :) if you are nervous about this try travelling them in the left side to start with and see if that works (it did for my mare for a year!) just be aware on sharp right turns with a steep camber towards verge and take them steady (not many of them tbh). my theory is they are generally safer on their feet than scrambling kicking themselves and falling over regardless of how well strapped in they are. If only travelling minus partition works invest in a one piece breast bar at least for peace of mind :)

stacey111

Visit site
Hi all quick question when I remove partition should I tie her up on one side or have 2 lead ropes from each side?
Stacey

Bay2

New User
Visit site
Cross tie to prevent them turning around in the trailer. One of mine can only travel without the petition...she falls over otherwise. The other gets stressed when traveling alone and is better without the petition. But she's fine when traveling with company (horses are odd creatures!).