Trailer breakdown insurance.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what insurance I need that will rescue me and my pony incase of breakdown of car or trailer when towing.
Currently I just have basic AA breakdown cover for the car. I have had the trailer insured with four counties for theft but I didn't renew during lockdown as it was (hopefully) in a secure location and I haven't taken it out.
I want to get something sorted before I go out again. Is this something in should speak to my car insurers about or a trailer insurance co.
Thanks.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I use Equine Rescue Services. They will cover you just for the horse and trailer rescue part if your car breakdown is with another provider, or will cover the lot (car, trailer, horses) if you'd prefer.

They've been going for years, and are well respected.

Gloi

Visit site
I use Equine Rescue Services. They will cover you just for the horse and trailer rescue part if your car breakdown is with another provider, or will cover the lot (car, trailer, horses) if you'd prefer.

Thank you, I'll look into them ?

Just looked and I'll get that when I've checked the details on my trailer to fill form in.
Thanks. I'll feel happier with that even though I rarely go far.

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site

Me too. We have both our two cars' breakdown cover via our car insurance policy, then the trailer breakdown and horse recovery are covered separately by Equine Rescue. Having them separate would probably mean a bit of faffing in the event of a breakdown, but it worked better for us for financial and logistical reasons.

ETA - oh and then the trailer is covered for theft by the horse's insurers. Confused yet? I need a spreadsheet to keep track!

scruffyponies

Visit site
Depending how far you travel, the best insurance might be an informal agreement with a friend. I would hate to be stuck at the side of the road trying to co-ordninate various policy providers, and what do you do if your car recovery person arrives first?

maisie06

Visit site
Back in the day I had SEIB breakdown and trailer cover, very reasonable and would recover car trailer and horse in the event of a breakdown or accident. Trailer was covered for damage and theft too.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Informal agreements with friends only work if the friend is available and can drop everything to come and pick you up. I've been the friend who came to the rescue - not that there was any pre agreement in place, but hey ho. I stuffed the then toddlers in the car and went off to get the horse.

ERS coordinate some pretty tricky rescues which involve closing entire motorways down both ways to facilitate horsebox to horsebox transfers. They'd be at the scene before most vehicle only rescue companies anyway. Plus they'll take your dogs, cats, chickens...

Gloi

Visit site
Depending how far you travel, the best insurance might be an informal agreement with a friend. I would hate to be stuck at the side of the road trying to co-ordninate various policy providers, and what do you do if your car recovery person arrives first?
That's not easy for me sadly. The people I could have relief on have all died.