Trailer decision

Angelz

Visit site
Hi All, my horse used to be a bad loader/traveler, years of repetition has got us to the stage where I can easily take him out and even tack him up in the trailer alone. Only in trailer with partition out. We have been happy doing this two years in our 505. 505 was getting old so I bought a brand new equitreck L, he hates it! Took him round the block in it, he sweated up and pretty much bolted out the trailer, which is side loading-luckily I moved quick. He has always unloaded fine. Now I can take it back and swap it for a new 511 at a loss of £800 the soon as I drive new 511 off it will devalue by about £500, so total loss will be £1300. What would you do? Attempt to get horse used to Equitreck (risk stress and injury) or cut your losses and swap for 511?

WelshD

Visit site
If he got over being bad to load then I would see if I could get him over the new trailer issue even if that meant getting a bit of ;professional help if required

9tails

Visit site
The equitrek is rear facing? I'll never travel my horse in a rear facing anything again as she was unable to balance for the entire 60 mile journey home when I bought her. She can only travel on the right in a 511 and won't fit in a 506. Second the idea of hiring a 511, though I'm sure your equitrek will sell very quickly on the open market rather than losing so much in part ex.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I would also do the swap as well. It is not ideal but would be less stressful for both you and your horse and would mean you could be out and about having fun again.

Clever pony

Visit site
Horses get more balance if they stand backwards.
Why don't You try putting the van in a semi open space I.e arena or round pen and open all windows so has time to smell and look at it . Then just try getting his favourite treat and put it in the corner , below where the hay bail would be,and just let him chill for a while, baby steps are key so the horse doesn't get scared. Horses also have avert sensitive sense of smell so try and get some air going through the van. Good luck I hope you can keep the equi trek their really nice :)

Angelz

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. They are quite evenly split arghhh The one I have bought is also forward facing the same as his old one. I had extra windows and vents fitted to make it light and airy as possible. I did have mirrors in my old trailer, so another thought I've had is whatever I do I must put mirrors in before I try again.