Trailer downsizing - double to single, anyone done it?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tiddlypom would love to know how you get on with hiring one and what your thoughts are. I'm in the same boat as you, same weight horse too!
I haven’t taken the plunge and hired one yet. I’ve been back for another look at the HBX range and we still like it very much. We also looked at a new Cheval Liberte mare and foal trailer which is super smart on the forecourt and I expected to like it, but it seems very flimsy close up. The whole front nose cone is moulded from thin plastic, there’s no metal reinforcement to even screw a cctv camera to and the fixings are flimsy. I didn’t like the rear roll down mesh curtain which CV trailers have instead of top doors, it would not mask an HGV with its headlights full on and tailgating the trailer on the motorway. The HBX range is much more solid and useable, with more flexibility of where the breast and beach bars can be placed.

38AC0C0C-B961-4D43-859D-BE7D846DFE36.jpeg

We’re planning on going over to look at Bateson trailers soon, we were going to go last week but they are based at Marple which was caught up in the recent flooding worries, so we held off.

Last edited:

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
Love my Cheval liberte single, it’s actually got more headroom than an ifor 510 and isn’t much narrower than a double and has the awesome door feature where you can have a ramp or a door which is brilliant for bad loafers who don’t trust ramps as well as excellent suspension.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My major thought would be more if you use the trailer for anything else, collecting hay, tip runs, moving house etc were all times where having extra space was useful. As well as trying to get changed in the pissing rain.

This would be my thought. I really cant imagine downsizing to a single. I dont travel two horses anymore but I use the other side for storage for events - I have my tack box, extra hay, water container etc. in that side. Two of us have also slept in it (one on each side). I also love my double for tip runs and have also picked up round bales of hay in it!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just bought a 403 (though not the shiney new ones) and paid a lot more than I would have done for a double! I had to for the weight as I didnt want to do the test, but even for a complete towing novice (though I did have some lessons eith my ex instructor friend!) I am finding it fine!

Yeah, I've done a bit of price researching, and single trailers are ridiculously expensive!

I went to see a used one, took a friend's (mechanic) hubby with me, but he wasn't happy with the condition of it.

Hey ho, keep looking I guess!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Love my Cheval liberte single, it’s actually got more headroom than an ifor 510 and isn’t much narrower than a double and has the awesome door feature where you can have a ramp or a door which is brilliant for bad loafers who don’t trust ramps as well as excellent suspension.
I’m glad that you’re happy with your trailer. I really wanted to like the CV mare and foal, but it wasn’t for us. The new Ifor HBXs have the same combined ramp/barn door feature that CV trailer have. I think that Ifor have had a good look at the CV trailers and nicked a fair few of their ideas for their new range...

Might still need to have a double trailer, as the other stall is a perfect place for OH’s cycle to travel when we go further afield for hacks. The Shogun is so blimmin’ high that even at 6’3” he would need a step ladder to get the bike on the roof o_O. I’m still going to hire the single, though, just to trial it for useabilty for one. I’ve been offered a good trade in price for the 510.