Trailer essentials and haynets scratching?

Tansibel

Visit site
I've just purchased a new trailer (cheval liberte touring country). It has a tack locker in the front and I'm making myself a list of essentials, anything to add would definitely be appreciated!

Folding curver steps
Spare headcollar and rope
Grooming kit
Water canister
Buckets x 2 (washing and drinking)
Sponge
First aid kit including tweezers, scissors and a head torch
Fly spray
Towels
Quick release loop/ bailing twine

I'm also curious if you've found that haynets scratch the sides of trailers while horses are stood outside? I wouldn't leave him stood outside unattended (he's 4) and he's very good standing in the 3.5 tonne i've hired in the past but I find myself with my hands full while tacking up. Do the nets cause much damage? I have soft nets without metal loops for travelling so hoping it wouldnt cause too much damage to the aluminium sides? I'm not too bothered to be honest it's purely cosmetic but just curious if anyone has found anything to help keep the sides from being scratched?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've just purchased a new trailer (cheval liberte touring country). It has a tack locker in the front and I'm making myself a list of essentials, anything to add would definitely be appreciated!

Folding curver steps
Grooming kit
Water canister
Sponge
Fly spray
Towels

I'm also curious if you've found that haynets scratch the sides of trailers while horses are stood outside? I wouldn't leave him stood outside unattended (he's 4) and he's very good standing in the 3.5 tonne i've hired in the past but I find myself with my hands full while tacking up. Do the nets cause much damage? I have soft nets without metal loops for travelling so hoping it wouldnt cause too much damage to the aluminium sides? I'm not too bothered to be honest it's purely cosmetic but just curious if anyone has found anything to help keep the sides from being scratched?
I had one for the curver steps, I found not right for me so I bought one of these which I prefer. https://www.homebase.co.uk/rhino-ho...3V*MTcwNTg2OTExMC4xLjEuMTcwNTg2OTE4My4wLjAuMA..

To add to your list

1. small bag or such for spurs, gloves hoofpicks ect
  2. maybe something like this for whips can stick anywhere https://www.viovet.co.uk/EZI-KIT-Bl...WLbmmZoGqrFk_7pCmj0qVS9U_RZoRNOgaAm9_EALw_wcB
  3. in case muddy ground ...................... https://www.amazon.co.uk/WawaAuto-F...83&sprefix=metal+mud+tyre+grips,aps,70&sr=8-4
  4. spare bailing twine
  5. jump leads for car (Its easier to find someone to jump from than some one who has jump leads)
  6. . security for the trailer......postcode on the roof.....................https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192886109748?hash=item2ce8e87634:g:droAAOSw4vJan9Ft&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8BBWyradrAWchdo1h3r7SVZNsHz661hb%2Fp%2FM5r9jj9X3jSAKB2lpjc4LrJbOxcAbhR1p1brIi8VxX9vzXUwjrXRjKFo13PUXCEq0ZFikcb3TkFLCOy0V4ZT%2FqDmq0NvpEE5srpUe5JoxSzQzuZk9V9iKgC87%2BXRqDYaWJjxNDOqM1U%2FhaAvXMgE3X9Q3ss%2BMdCfJckJCBs9nKXw%2FNhcn3mWdR8g085tpfpmrxvJnP0LPb%2F4E5aEhPqXTdBwxcQO6TrLfKDckC9LP4kwDnGCcrf2YViDfKxDyuokyLO2wGugNGlS6eYb7E9d0UwQ9jPd0WA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6iMtNylYw
  7. shampoo................ if they get messy legs or bum
  8. spare haynet

lots of things more but space is limited with a trailer

dottylottie

Visit site
poop scoop/muck bucket!

i’m planning on putting a stubbs stable tidy in mine, for all those random bits and pieces that would otherwise get strewn about the place😂

Britestar

Visit site
You can buy haynet guards that attach to the outside of lorries, so I'm guessing you can for trailers too.
I never tie up outside, so its not a problem I've had to deal with.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Agree about having as little as possible in the trailer. Or at least having it all in something which can be properly secured at multiple points, a wheelie bin is great if you're only travelling a single horse.

Make sure you have the correct tool for releasing the breast bar bolts from the outside, keep it in the car.

Emergency lantern and triangle thingy, and possibly a roll of reflective tape you can wrap round the trailer - making you visible in a breakdown.

Does your trailer have tie points? Mine didn't, I didn't think they did them anymore because it isn't deemed safe to tie a horse to a trailer (which obviously we all do so have to put bailer twine in difficult places!).

I used to tie my horse next to the jockey door and lower the hay net inside so he could still eat it, worked well.

I wouldn't fuss too much about haynets scuffing the trailer, if you're like everyone else you'll be scraping it along hedges soon enough. If you are worried be aware that bailing twine will be worse because it'll be there while you're driving.

flat3

Visit site
I have this trailer and tie big standard haynets outside, and haven't noticed any scratches. Can't say it crossed my mind, it wouldn't be something that bothered me so, I haven't looked for them - but I haven't noticed any either!

rextherobber

Visit site
I just take gloves and an old feed sack instead of a poop scoop. A lunge rein can be useful if you have a sticky loader. But I have all that sort of stuff in the car, just the horse(s) and haynets go in the trailer

Landcruiser

Visit site
Things that are always in my trailer: Idolo ties, for tying in the trailer and I keep a spare one for tying outside too.
A couple of short lengths of decking (about 8 inches long) - useful for putting under ramp if the ground is uneven.
A couple of bungees - useful for all sorts of things but particularly for clipping swinging partition flaps back when parked on a slope.
A spare 12 ft leadrope and spare headcollar.

tb gal

Visit site
How exciting for you!

How do you find it tow and can you open the tackroom when the ramp is up? I am considering buying one.

I would put all you have listed in the tack locker eg

Folding curver steps
Grooming kit
Water canister
Sponge
Fly spray
Towels

I would add
"wee bucket" as I tow for several hours at a stretch on my own and dont like leaving pony without supervision
passport in the mesh pocket
tow hitch lock for when its parked up un hitched so I can go shopping if camping over night
electric tape
electric fence poles
plastic bag inside buckets with hard food

I would also add the side bar that can be fitted on a cheval to fit outside and hang hay nets, tie horse to etc as the tie rings outside for the haynets are too close to the handles and my mare rubs her head on nets and nearly took her eyes out a few times but that might just be her!

Birker2020

Visit site

Folding curver steps
Grooming kit
Water canister
Sponge
Fly spray
Towels

I used to tie Bailey up to the back of the trailer with a haynet in between classes for hours and it never scratched the trailer.

Birker2020

Visit site

Folding curver steps
Grooming kit
Water canister
Sponge
Fly spray
Towels

Hope you have lots of fun with your wheels.

irishdraft

Visit site
I only have my water canister and a haynet in my trailer, I wouldn't leave my horse tied up outside the trailer unless it's for tacking up or untacking so no need to tie haynet on the outside of trailer. All other stuff is in the towing vehicle, essentials for me is horses passport & equine rescue details, equipment to change trailer wheel and first aid kit for horse plus whatever is needed for the outing I'm going to .

Tansibel

Visit site
How exciting for you!

How do you find it tow and can you open the tackroom when the ramp is up? I am considering buying one.

I would put all you have listed in the tack locker eg

Folding curver steps
Grooming kit
Water canister
Sponge
Fly spray
Towels

I would add
"wee bucket" as I tow for several hours at a stretch on my own and dont like leaving pony without supervision
passport in the mesh pocket
tow hitch lock for when its parked up un hitched so I can go shopping if camping over night
electric tape
electric fence poles
plastic bag inside buckets with hard food

I would also add the side bar that can be fitted on a cheval to fit outside and hang hay nets, tie horse to etc as the tie rings outside for the haynets are too close to the handles and my mare rubs her head on nets and nearly took her eyes out a few times but that might just be her!
Never towed one myself (picking up trailer in feb) but heard endless good things about the suspension.

The locker door swings inwards if that makes sense so lockers still accesible with ramp up