Trailer floor wet!

myprincess

Visit site
Hi I didn't know as I haven't used my rice trailer in a while that the roof is leaking and the wooden floor has got a big wet patch on it! I don't know how long it's been like this, should I get the floor checked before I use it? I looks ok doesn't look rotten or anything but I will be paranoid about using it now !

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The rubber matting needs lifting on both the floor and ramp and the floor checked from above and below for any rot. The roof also needs checking from both sides. The trailers wheel bearings, tyres, brakes and tow ball should also be checked and serviced.

lazybee

Visit site
I would check the mastic sealant around the panels and the panel rivets. The rivets sometimes shear off and the mastic joints fail. The front panel on mine came unstuck and let water in. also the panel mastic joints behind the wheels failed.
It's best to lift the matting if you're not using it and open all the doors on a good drying day.
You can check for rot by poking the floor with a screwdriver. Once a year I glug a good load of wood preserver over the floor when it's completely dry. As Peter says best to check the rest while you're at. Grease all the linkages underneath and the inertia brake grease nipple. Go on get your old clothes on and get stuck in :)

The best mastic is car body sealant/adhestive.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Why don't you book it for a service then they will check all the essentials and also may be able to find out where the water is coming in. They will also grease everything for you so that it's running smoothly.

myprincess

Visit site
Thanks guys it won't be going anywhere for a while but I'll book it in for a service before I do does anyone know roughly how much this costs? As mine was done before I bought it so never had to take it for a service haven't had it that long thanks

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Its £85 for a service where I am. Obvs if you need part that's extra. well worth doing as you then have the peace of mind all is safe before you put the horse in.