Trailer for carriage driving

pennyturner

Visit site
I'd like to convert a larger trailer to carry two small ponies (c.13hh, 300kg each) and a four wheel vehicle. A Rice or wessex treble should be big enough, but how about a hb510 - there are lots more of them about. Another alternative would be a livestock trailer, which is slightly wider, and a better shape. Ponies often choose to travel sideways in my current Rice, so sideways in 6' would be plenty of room.

Has anyone done it, and what did you use?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Slightly different but I have a carriage treka from equitrek it would take two good sized ponies with the carriage in the living area in the front .
It has a portable stable fitted to the side , every thing you need for a weekend away can fit in it .

popsdosh

Visit site
Cheval sell a special trailer that will carry a four wheeler on the front along with the ponies behind . They are very popular with driving folk

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can a horse sized four wheeler easily into the carriage treka I used it for a 16.1 Clydesdale / Welsh D .
I also had J in it and he's over 17 hh.
Trailers like this are a good way to get going doing driving trials .
Where the whole transport / stabling thing thing is complicated .

pennyturner

Visit site
Cheval sell a special trailer that will carry a four wheeler on the front along with the ponies behind . They are very popular with driving folk

I would love one of these, but they're as rare as hens teeth second hand.

Slightly different but I have a carriage treka from equitrek it would take two good sized ponies with the carriage in the living area in the front .
It has a portable stable fitted to the side , every thing you need for a weekend away can fit in it .

I considered the equitrek, but TBH, as well as being expensive, they seem unnecessarily heavy. I tow with a Terrano (max 2800kg), which I don't think would be big enough. I also heard there were build quality issues on the early ones, and they wouldn't be as straightforward to fix as an old Rice.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need a really big 4x4 to tow a carriage treka .
I actually liked it the horses travelled very well in it ( it only takes one big horses ) and it's very roomy for storage .
The three axles are a total pain it needs a huge turning circle and hitching up alone was a pain as you can't move it an inch .
It's sitting doing nothing now I need to sell it .