Trailer help please!!!

TallulahBright

Visit site
My 3 year old has until recently been travelled in a 510 with no partitions, just a full width bar. I've now put the partitions in and she will load fine but as soon as I leave her on her own she starts going up and leaping around. I am terrified that she will really hurt herself but I think my stress is making her think she has to worry even more. I am also worried that she will learn that rearing and dancing means we stop and she gets off. Agghh!! Any advice, please? I acn't afford a lorry so have to get this right. Thanks...

quirky

Visit site
Any reason you have put your partition back in?

I travel mine without as she prefers to have a bit more room.

quirky

Visit site
Can't really see how partitions are going to prevent her slipping tbh. It just means she'll slip under the partitions.

Have you driven off once she is loaded? Many horses paw/bang when stationery and settle once on the move. I tend to load up, jump in truck and set off straight away, no waiting round for them to get uptight :).

Alibear

Visit site
Lots of horses only travel well in trailers with no partitions, other travel best with a partition.
So go back to basics.
You have a horse that has travelled fine with no partition until last trip when they slipped.
So go back to no partition and try a short trip, if that's OK continue with no partition until horse is 100% happy again. Then you can rethink trying the partition if you really want to or need to travel with company.
Is the partition a full ceiling to floor one or a half one with rubber to the floor?
The later might work better as horse can still place hooves further over for balance.
When they slipped did you have bedding down on top of rubber mats? Might be better to try a short trip with just the rubber mats.
A few ideas to try anyway.

lilaclomax

Visit site
She is still young and likely to be unbalanced... I would take the partition back out and if you are worried about her slipping over then bandage her legs.

Boots can make horses more unstable too so as above swap for bandages... as she is only 3 i am guessing you are just getting her used to travelling? Take her for short slow journeys to re-gain her confidence.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Try not feeding her for a couple or three hours before you load her, then she may spot her haynet in the trailer and be so interested in eating hay that she doesn't bother pratting about.

Louby

Visit site
I agree with the no partitions, some horses just cant balance with them in and can end up on the floor or scrabbling up the sides.
Do you know why she slipped. My previous horse was shod and I never had any issues. Do you put some shavings down to soak up any wet, we found straw can be slippy but shavings fine.

Oberon

Visit site
That's one of the reasons I like my single trailer.

Also - shoes on a 3 year old?

Last edited:

TallulahBright

Visit site
Quick update- have realised the problem is more fundamental than trailer- she won't stand still for any length of time without distractions of hay etc. So I am working on that for a few days and will then put the trailer back into the mix. She is beginning to get the hang of standing still again. I think it is another 'try it on' times in our relationship! Thanks for advice, will let you know what happens....