Trailer insurance and breakdown cover

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I'm getting a trailer on Saturday and need to get some cover in place. Any recommendations on who is best value? Am I best to get both together or separately? Any help appreciated!!

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
I use KBIS for my trailer and have been happy with their service. I did read that Antony Evans have limited emergency cover in some areas but I can’t remember the area involved.

Shay

Visit site
I use SEIB! I suspect you'll find the 4 main insurers are all fairly close in price. Where you keep the trailer when not in use makes a difference and keep an eye on the small print for what types of security device you need as that can vary from policy to policy.

As to companies to avoid... anything that seems too good a price. The most notorious one on here now trades under other names as well - although in fairness I don;t know if they have ever offered trailer insurance.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm getting a trailer on Saturday and need to get some cover in place. Any recommendations on who is best value? Am I best to get both together or separately? Any help appreciated!!

If you are in the A.A/RAC already on your car then you can take out OHTO trailer breakdown cover for £57.00 per year. This will already cover your car/trailer breaking down. But the OHTO covers the horse side of things as the AA/RAC will not tow livestock. OHTO membership includes the following:

Free phone 24 hours a day for fast roadside assistance. Equine resuce on standby to transport horse to any UK mainland destination using DEFRA approved profeesional transport companies. Unlimited emergency repairs to enable you to continue your journey (pay for pats at cost at a later date). Free recovery. Unbeatable type service. Tyres supplied are invoiced at cost at a later date (no mark up).
Unlimited indemnity – full breakdown cover anywhere in UK regardless of cost.

If you are not in the AA/RAC I think its around the £75 mark per year and this will cover your car/trailer and horse.

Go to http://www.horsebox-rescue.co.uk/uk memberships.htm for more details

ihatework

Visit site
I use SEIB to insure my trailer who have so far been good, and I’m currently going through a big claim as it looks like a friend who borrowed it last week managed to write it off (don’t ask!!), outcome of claim unknown but so far they are making the right noises.

For rescue & recovery I use Equine Rescue Services, they have a combined policy for car & trailer that is noticeably cheaper than AA/RAC - not yet tested mind, but when I used them for my lorry they were brilliant.