Trailer insurance

mums the groom

Visit site
I bought my trailer HBX506 last year and insured it through E&L. .quote has just come through again and it’s doubled?
can anyone recommend a company and do you need any insurance or is it covered by your car insurance TIA

Shay

Visit site
You don't have to insure - we don't insure for theft / damage as the trailer is relatively old and replacing it would not be a difficulty. You car insurance will usually cover you for public liability - but do check the small print. We do insure for recovery though - you need to get the horses home in the event of a breakdown!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Mine is insured on my car's NFU policy. I had an accident when my little sheep trailer detached itself while towing with a load of lambs onboard. Paid out for the trailer no bother. Actually got more than I paid for it as the valuer had to look up prices on ebay (very old trailer) and paid out the cheapest he could find on the nearest equivalent. NFU are great at paying out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I insure mine through SEIB, and have done since it was new in 2006.

Trailer insurance isn’t compulsory, but if you have an HBX it will be a fairly new trailer, as they haven’t been out long. You will want it insured against theft, I’d have thought?

You can twiddle your cover with SEIB to include the following.

• All trailers valued up to £25,000
  • Cover for fire, theft and accidental damage
  • Cover for hired trailers up to a year
  • RAC Breakdown Cover (optional)
  • Public liability for the trailer when not attached to the towing vehicle automatically included

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Also with SEIB. It’s parked at the farm and while it is fairly secure there has been a huge rise in trailer thefts recently so it’s peace of mind more than anything. £14 a month for HB506 2014 trailer fully comp so to speak for theft, damage and recovery (plus horses)