Trailer loading difficulty

Hhh

Visit site
My horse will point blank refuse to get on a trailer. He will load on a box perfectly, walk straight on. I went to take him out a few weeks back on a trailer for the first time and didn’t think of the difference in size and he would not get on.
No matter how much I tried to bribe him, after time (hours) he got further in and a few times fully in, but as soon as we pulled the ramp up he freaked out and backed out.
Any tips on ways to build his confidence with trailer loading?
I do not want to be using lunge lines etc, I want to make it a good experience for him so he enjoys getting in rather than being forced.
Thank you in advance

Carlosmum

Visit site
Practice, practice. practice. He is probably feeling claustrophobic. Dont put any ramps up until he will stand happily munching a hay net, then put the back up first, when he is used to that put the front up. If he is one to rush off forwards only allow him to back out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Load him daily. Feed him his meals on it until he’s loading happily to a haynets.

As above don’t put any ramps up until he’s confidently standing and eating his hay.

muddybay

Visit site
Maybe go on a 3.5 tonne and leave both doors open so he feels less claustrophobic and let him get more comfortable in it whilst he knows he can leave! Just make it a positive expirience!

Hhh

Visit site
Practice, practice. practice. He is probably feeling claustrophobic. Dont put any ramps up until he will stand happily munching a hay net, then put the back up first, when he is used to that put the front up. If he is one to rush off forwards only allow him to back out.

I think he was. I will try that thank you

Hhh

Visit site
Maybe go on a 3.5 tonne and leave both doors open so he feels less claustrophobic and let him get more comfortable in it whilst he knows he can leave! Just make it a positive expirience!
He will happily go on a 3.5, take himself on. I don’t travel often but something I want to work on just incase I ever need to use a trailer. Thank you, I will make it positive