Trailer problems

RoyalSapphire

Visit site
Hi i am a relatively new member (I say relatively because I joined agaes ago but it wouldn't let me post anything). And I got my first pony a while ago 12 April. I love her to peices but I am still quite inexperianced. We have hit a few problems but we are getting along well. I got a trailer as a early Christmas present because I bring her home for the holidays. And she loaded well but the whole way home she was rocking from side to side and kicking out. When we got home and I opened the trailer she was dripping in sweat. Please Help. She now won't load. We drove very carefully and she trailered before (she's 20!) help. Xxx

RoyalSapphire

Visit site
It's a rice trailer. She's is healthy she can occasionally be stiff but not often. Not lame. I was thinking traveling her without the partition in but then she just sticks her hooves in the corners. But now she won't go in the trailer.

Shay

Visit site
Will she load if you have another horse already on? Some absolutely hate traveling alone. Do you have any way to find out how and in what type of trailer she had traveled before? It might help to know if this is a recent thing for her or something that has always been a bit of an issue. You need to work on her being happy to load before you can even start to think about how she travels - but there are lots of options. You might need to borrow a few different makes of trailer and see if that makes a difference. Whether you need something more sprung, or a side load. But it might also be to do width height of the roof, width between the partitions, light. Possibly even the smell. Who knows what gets into their heads?!

I would start by seeing if she would load with another horse and that is probably the easiest and quickest bit to rule out. If she is happy with someone else then try a mirror and see if that works. Otherwise it is down to care and a bit of trial and error. Every time you try to force her she is likely to take against the idea more. It can be a long slog I'm afraid.

BraidedTail

Visit site
I think trying without the partition is a good idea. You say she's puts her feet in the corners - this will be so she can balance herself more easily, spreading her legs out .
Take it a small step at a time - have the back open, and front if you have a front ramp, with all partitioning out. Start by giving her a feed on the ramp, higher up each time so she steps on. When she's happy with this, move up a little more until you are inside. it will take time, but does work. She has to learn to feel safe again - the kicking and rocking would be from her losing her balance and sweating because she was stressed. Good luck and be patient with her.

RoyalSapphire

Visit site
Thank you the rice trailer doesn't have a front unload and we thought she would reverse out. But she didn't:(. The problem was that even with her legs spread out without the partitions in she was still covered in sweat. How can I stop her being so stressed. I've tryed feeding her in the ramp but I can only get her to put one foot on it. Xxx

Dry Rot

Visit site
I think trying without the partition is a good idea. You say she's puts her feet in the corners - this will be so she can balance herself more easily, spreading her legs out .
Take it a small step at a time - have the back open, and front if you have a front ramp, with all partitioning out. Start by giving her a feed on the ramp, higher up each time so she steps on. When she's happy with this, move up a little more until you are inside. it will take time, but does work. She has to learn to feel safe again - the kicking and rocking would be from her losing her balance and sweating because she was stressed. Good luck and be patient with her.

This ^^^^

Fasten a hay net with small mesh as near to the trailer as she will comfortably eat from it and move closer every day. Take your time. Hopefully, you will eventually arrive at the happy state where your horse is inside the trailer and pulling at the hay net. If she wants to come out, let her. If she is eating inside, leave her to it for as long as she will stay in.

Do a search on this forum for "loading". This is a regular topic on here and I am sure you will find some good advice.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Have you had the floor checked?

My friends mare was a good traveler, then all of a sudden started being difficult to load and if you did get her in she was very stressed. Turned out there was a rotten patch in the floor and I'm convince the mare knew it.

ezililaur

Visit site
My mare was rather stressy when travelling when I first got my previous trailer, a Richardson. She would call out, particularly when I'd stopped at lights or junctions. She was also a bit sweaty when we got to our destination. I tried my friends trailer, a Cheval, and she was fine! We narrowed it down to the fact, when travelling alone, she likes to be able to see where she's going. I have a Cheval myself now and she travels fine. No calling and no sweating.
Like yours, she had become difficult to load in my old trailer. My friends horse travelled fine in it however.
Not sure it's helpful but thought I'd share my experience.
Good luck.