Trailer Ramp.......Left or Right?

XxCoriexX

Visit site
Morning everyone!

I am looking to get a new 511 trailer, my mare is rather long and i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the trailer ramp on the left hand side? Does it make that much of a difference or has it caused you any problems? I dont go hunting (too chicken) so wont really be parking on the roadside!

thanks for your opinions....never had my own trailer so just want to make sure that i get the best for my girlie, who managed to make herself lame in the field yesterday! Came in and was resting her hind leg, no swelling and no heat but def not right in trot! tried her with the hoof testers and she had no reaction! hopefully she was just being silly in the field and tweaked it, put ice clay on it and put her back in the field. Will go back up at lunch time and see how she is doing! MARES!!!!

thanks for reading!

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Don't know but would think it would be easier to unload larger horse by opening up the swinging partition and being able to turn less sharply. Think I would go for left side if changing trailer.

Hope your mare gets better soon!

be positive

Visit site
Having used a trailer for the last few weeks, usually have a lorry, I unloaded the horse backwards rather than risk him catching himself going out of the front ramp on the right, it would be easier I think for a big horse traveling on the right to go out of a left hand side ramp, there is just not enough room for them to turn even if you swing the partition out of the way. I have seen many horses rush out and catch their hips, they then rush more and get worse, obviously not a problem for everyone as there are so many of these trailers in use and most have the ramp on the right, the only problem I can see with it on the left is if you have to unload in an emergency when stuck at the side of a road with no room to drop a right hand side ramp.

bluedanube

Visit site
I've had both. Found the left unload useful on the 505 when travelling just one larger horse. Have a right unload 511 with 17.3hh and he's fine, never caught his hip or shoulder as it's a much bigger trailer and wide ramp.

super ted

Visit site
I have the 511 with a left hand ramp, our local dealer stocks left hand ramps as standard. As you tend to travel a single horse on the right it makes for a much easier unload. My horse is 17.1, in 6'9" rugs and would find it tricky to negotiate a right hand ramp. So, unless I was hunting I think it makes sense to have the left ramp, especially as in an absolute emergency you can off load onto the curb side of the road if necessary.

oscarwild

Visit site
I have used a 505 with right hand ramp with my 15.2 mare. She does manage to get round ok but I have also used a Bateson with a left hand ramp with her. And I prefer the left hand ramp for offloading as its easier for the horse to turn. Not used a new ifor but think left hand ramp is better.

holeymoley

Visit site
My old trailer is a left hand ramp. It's about 20/30years old so they must have had reason to do it like that then! My boy travels without partition so can't comment on ease of getting out. I think though as others have mentioned , if I bought a new one I'd get a left side for more room to unload if he was partitioned.

starsky

Visit site
I bought a left unload 511 a couple of months ago. My horse is nearly 17hh and used to panic and rush through the right unload as it was a tight turn for him (he travels on the right). With the left unload there is loads of space and he unloads nice and calmly. Definitely better for a big horse.