Trailer Ramp side

chocolategirl

Visit site
Every trailer I’ve ever had, the ramp has been on the left (passenger side), wouldn’t have it on the right, ever, but that’s just my choice?

cauda equina

Visit site
I had a lovely Rice, ramp on the left
I've now got an IW with the ramp on the right and hate it so much I don't know if I can live with it

Is there a reason why IWs have the ramp on the right as standard?

AngelaWB

Visit site
I’ve seen several people say this, but would it not mean you would have to park in the middle of the road to get the ramp down?
This is what I was thinking but didn't want to influence responses. I've always had 2nd hand Ifors with ramps on the right, but I'm going to order a new one and have a choice and was considering the left. My mare will travel without the partition so will have a good sweep to get out either side.

sunnyone

Visit site
The position of the trailer ramp is sometimes determined by legislation in the countries into which the manufacturer sells.If a trailer in the UK is built to order the ramp can be on any side but a bulk standard one would need to suit the export market too.

IW are big in France for example so the ramps are on the right i.e. not off loading into passing traffic when in the EU.

As an aside OP get your rear ramp as a convertible to doors option, so useful if you ever need to load anything other than a horse in it.

Widgeon

Visit site
I have an IW single with the ramp on the right (driver's side). I like it - we often park on quiet lane verges and other tight-ish spots and it means I can pull up, tuck the car and trailer in as tight off the road as I can, quickly unload, and tie pony to the back. However I will admit that wouldn't work on busy roads. But I've always thought if I did have to unload on a busier road in an emergency, I'd probably back him out anyway. Thankfully I've had no need so far.

phizz4

Visit site
IW's have/had the ramp on the right for the hunting community, so they could park on the grass verge and unload into the road rather than into a ditch. If you are travelling to a show/event you don't usually have to unload on a road, hence the more common left unload.