Trailer Shopping HELP!!!

XxCoriexX

Visit site
I know this thread has been done many times but I have been given the go ahead to buy a new trailer!!! woohoo!!!
now......as of yet I have never towed a trailer! so I have no idea what to be looking for! at the moment I am torn between a Bateson Ascot or an ifor Williams 511! my mare is 16.3 and rather long so she needs the extra space in the bigger trailers, however a friend took her out in her 511 ad said that he felt her loosing her balance n the corners and over potholes. This is what made me think that the Bateson with the better suspension might be easier for her? Anyway my main question is which trailer would you/did you go for and why? do you regret your decision? I am really confused and am going to have a look at the Bateson ones next week. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Very exciting but nervous times ahead I think.

:)

popsdosh

Visit site
Many will use one but having done the research recently 16.3 would be pushing it for a Bateson Ascot(even the dealer agreed). They are narrow in the stalls and lower.
Look at Nugent the spirit 25 is same dimensions as the 511 but a superior undercarriage and all fittings are stainless.
I went for a equi trek as carry youngstock and a lot easier to load plus I got 2nd hand at very good price!

XxCoriexX

Visit site
I will be sitting my trailer test in April so will have it in place before I get my trailer. Exciting times!

ETA!! my car is a tiguan escape so can tow 2500

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
Have a look at bockmann trailers, suspension is pretty amazing on mine as is the braking system.

XxCoriexX

Visit site
I like the Nugent trailer but I was hoping to get something slightly lighter as I would never be able to take two horses in those trailers with the car I have and cant afford to get a new one at the moment. My maximum tow weight for my car is 2500kg.

XxCoriexX

Visit site
Many will use one but having done the research recently 16.3 would be pushing it for a Bateson Ascot(even the dealer agreed). They are narrow in the stalls and lower.
Look at Nugent the spirit 25 is same dimensions as the 511 but a superior undercarriage and all fittings are stainless.
I went for a equi trek as carry youngstock and a lot easier to load plus I got 2nd hand at very good price!

that's interesting, I thought that the Ascot was supposed to take up to 17hh? Maybe will have to rethink my plan! its difficult to find a decent sized trailer that isn't too heavy! it might come down to it that I can only ever take one horse at a time :(

ROG

Visit site
I like the Nugent trailer but I was hoping to get something slightly lighter as I would never be able to take two horses in those trailers with the car I have and cant afford to get a new one at the moment. My maximum tow weight for my car is 2500kg.
Two horses likely to be 1200 max
Trailer empty weight likely to be about 1000
That's 2200 max so 2500 TC is fine

XxCoriexX

Visit site

Just had a look and the unladen weight of the nugent 25 is 1100kg and the gross weight is 2700kg is it ok to have a trailer that has a gross weight higher than the maximum towing weight of the car as long as I never exceeded the 2500kg of the car?

ROG

Visit site

Just had a look and the unladen weight of the nugent 25 is 1100kg and the gross weight is 2700kg is it ok to have a trailer that has a gross weight higher than the maximum towing weight of the car as long as I never exceeded the 2500kg of the car?

Perfectly legal to do that

TRECtastic

Visit site
I treated myself to a new trailer last year and was also looking at the bateson ascot & the IW 511 .
The bateson seemed to have better suspension but I went for a black 511 as I thought the batesons only come in white & might look faded/green water after a while , I thought the 511 looked smarter plus IW hold their price well
I have been very happy with my trailer , the build quality imo is very good , much better than my last trailer which was a cheval/robinsons but the suspension on that trailer was also better than the IW .
I looked at our local IW dealers but found the same trailer at a dealers a bit further away for £500 cheaper so worth the extra miles trip for the overall saving .
Happy shopping :)

coen

Visit site
I went for the ifor williams 511, it is the most spacious trailer I have been in.
My horse is only 16.1 but wanted a large trailer as friends horses are pushing 17h and you never know what you could end up with in the future. I am really happy with it, large, light, stable ect.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I had a 17.1 in my bateson ascot regularly, he fitted well and wore 6T9 rugs.

Would never buy an ifor but would have another bateson again without thinking about it