Trailer, single or double?

alainax

Visit site
Argh Dilemma!

Car - towing capacity if 1700kgs.

Looking to buy Ifor Williams trailer.

I will have the B+E

Horse = 1 of... somewhere between 600-700kgs , 16.2hh ( and likely a bad loader)

HB403 I have heard great reviews on, read loads on here and seems the wise choice as I only have one horse. It weighs 767kgs, plus horse would take me to max 1500 kgs, giving the car a bit of extra space between max.

However, every time I mention it to someone they think im barking mad! Saying that a single trailer is dangerous, will tip over - no one has them, never see them at shows as dangerous... buy a real trailer :confused:

So moving up from that is the HB506 at 920kgs. Even saying the horse is 700kgs ( which i doubt he is!) would still be a fraction under the cars max capacity.

Are the doubles more stable? am I crazy for looking at a single? Will the single tip? :eek:

Help!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I love my single Ifor Williams trailer. It has never felt unstable to me and I like the fact that it is narrower than the car when I am towing it.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The single is not that much narrower than the double, certainly not to the point it might randomly fall over. Any badly driven trailer can tip, and the more spare weight capacity the car has, the less likely you will have issues.

ROG

Visit site
With a towing capacity of 1700 and lets say a horse of 700 leaves only 1000

Add a few more bits and bobs and you might have 800 kgs in the trailer

I suggest a trailer either single or double with a max unladen weight of 850 kgs

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If you get a double you could take the centre out and use full size breeching bar. Would save weight and make easier to load.

cblover

Visit site
I've just taken delivery of a brand new shiny HB403 and absolutely love it!!!! I've had an HB401 before and never for one minute felt unsafe. Horses have always loaded and travelled great in a single as they have more room. We have a large car to tow it with and I only ever travel one at a time anyway even when I had a HB505 (4x4 towing that one).

They are really hard to find second hand as they are so popular so I say bite the bullet and get a new single ordered. lol Good luck whatever you choose.

alainax

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It does seem that the single would be the best one for what I need, just panicking from what other people are saying lol! But I guess hearing it from the horses mouth ( pardon the pun) is more accurate info!

So are they not any more unstable? someone said you cant drive them in the wind etc... which i thought was a bit daft. IW wouldn't make them if they were dangerous surely lol! Ofc there are always risks with an trailer, but any substantially increased ones with the single?

cblover

Visit site
They are only 6 inches less in width than a double so they are perfectly safe to drive. In high winds I would be cautious towing anything, you make that judgement on the day I suppose. As long as you are careful with your speed, read the road and give yourself time to react, towing a single is perfectly safe.

I tow with a large diesel car therefore I need to be mindful of the roads I will be travelling on and avoid wet fields etc....apart from that just enjoy the freedom!

cblover

Visit site
Just had my tape measure out to make sure and its actually about 10 inches less in width, but still not that much.

alainax

Visit site
They are only 6 inches less in width than a double so they are perfectly safe to drive. In high winds I would be cautious towing anything, you make that judgement on the day I suppose. As long as you are careful with your speed, read the road and give yourself time to react, towing a single is perfectly safe.

I tow with a large diesel car therefore I need to be mindful of the roads I will be travelling on and avoid wet fields etc....apart from that just enjoy the freedom!

Just had my tape measure out to make sure and its actually about 10 inches less in width, but still not that much.

Thats really great advice, thank you :)

Seems I should just stick with my gut instinct and order the trailer that will be best for my needs :)

magichorse

Visit site
I love my single Ifor Williams trailer. It has never felt unstable to me and I like the fact that it is narrower than the car when I am towing it.

This^^^ I love that my single trailer is not wider that the car. I have the Ifor single (40 something- can never remember!) and bought it new in 2010. More room inside them is also handy as you can move around the horse more easily. Highly recommended! :)

Maybe n me

New User
Visit site
Hello, I'm reading this 5 years later, and I'd love an update - did you buy the single and if so did/do you like it? I find myself with the same dilemma!

Tern

Visit site
Hello, I'm reading this 5 years later, and I'd love an update - did you buy the single and if so did/do you like it? I find myself with the same dilemma!

*2 years later. ;)

I say, if you have the car to tow a double trailer get a double. You never know when you may need that extra horse space.. like if you find someone broken down with their trailer. And if you stay away you can put bedding/hay/rugs on the other side.

alainax

Visit site
Hey!

I got the single and its perfect :) Did exactly what I needed it to. Got a car with a bigger towing capacity which pulls it all so smoothly.

After doing a few quite long journeys I now have a 7.5t also, although still haven't got round to using it!

So have a new horse, new car, new lorry.. but still the single trailer - as it is so very useful :) ( also handy for general moving stuff around lol!)