Trailer Size

suzyseymour

Visit site
I'm hoping you can give me some advice on trailers for my horses. I'm looking to start taking my 4 year old out for a bit of experience. She obviously still has some growing to do and is already over 16.3hh and wider than she is tall (Irish Draught x)!! My other horse is just 15hh so is not a problem. Any ideas which would be best, to fit them both in. The pros and cons of any you already have. I hoping not to spend much more than 4k, but don,t mind getting a second hand one if there many big enough avaiable.
Thanks is advance
grin.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
Your best bet is and Ifor Williams 510 for those size horses and you'll get a brand new one in your budget. Most other makes of trailers go up to accomodating 17hh horses and your youngster sounds like she's going to be quite big! The 510 should take 2 17'2's, is easy to use and handle and will last a lifetime - I wouldn't swop for anything else now!

suzyseymour

Visit site
Thanks for that. I was having a look at that trailer on the internet and it did sound good. But its good to hear what people who don't work for Iford Williams think! I want to make sure I get the right trailer, particulary as it will be the first time Kai will have been in one. She will be traumatised enough by my bad driving without having to cope with an unsuitable trailer!

acolvine

Visit site
HI,

Even though the 510 is for 2 x 17.2hh i would hire one first before buying and try your mare for size with another horse.

I had a 505 for my 16.2hh tb mare and found it too tight even though the trailer is designed for 2 x 16.2 horses. I had to travel without a partition in the end.

The ifor is a solid trailer and holds its value which is always a plus.
There are other good makes out there though so go and look at a few before you make your mind up. Maybe pop to a local show and look at what other people are using.
Just take your time and pick the right one for you.
Good Luck!

pocket

Visit site
I love Rice trailers. I've got a B60 and its designed to take to 17.2hh horses. Ralph is 16.3 and travels in it really well and my pony loved it.

I also like the Rice as it has left sided unload, so if you need to (god forbid) unload on a M way, you unload onto the hard shoulder. More expensive than the Ifor W's but they are robust
wink.gif

allijudd

Visit site
I agree with pocket. We used to use a IW510, but now use a rice tripple. Big trailer and handles our 17.2 hannovarian easily. Padding on the roof, sides and plenty of width, more solidly built than the Ifor but also more expensive, but worth every penny.
Good luck

suzyseymour

Visit site
What is the difference between the 60 and the treble then? Kai is a typical youngster and does like to test things to distruction! So it would be good to get something fairly. What about the extras that you can get added on to the trailers when you get them. Are there any that you would suggest we should get?

I think we need to go and have a wander round a dealers and have a look, but I want to know a bit more about them before I do so I know what I'm looking at and what to ask.

Thanks
grin.gif

allijudd

Visit site
Both trailers are designed with the larger, heavier breeds in mind, but the trebble, as the name suggests, can carry 3 horses. Either 2 17hh+ or up to 2x16.2hh and one more up to 15.2.
I prefer the extra length of the treble box but be aware the trailer weighs 1200kg unlaiden. Well within weight for carrying large horses, but you will need a good 4x4 to pull it (like a land rover or similar) the family hatchback just wont cut it!

suzyseymour

Visit site
So would there be plenty of room in the double for the pair of them? I think that would be better, easier to negotiate, their field on a single track road with a couple of fairly tight corners to negotiate around.
I'm hoping Kai will get out and push if there are any hills! Failing that my boyfriend's boss is selling a Landrover Discovery we are hoping to get to tow them about. Any ideas how they tow?

acolvine

Visit site
Check out the towing capacity of your 4x4 (it will say what it can tow braked). Then add on the weight of your two horses to the weight of the trailer and see if it is less or more that what the 4x4 can tow.
Its the breaking not the pulling thats important. If you have to break sharp (which you hopefully ever won't) then imagine the weight of the trailer and horses behind you being reliant on the vehicle towing to stop it.
Also check out reviews online about Discoveries. Nissan/Mitsubishi would be my preferred choice as they are so reliable. I had a Terrano and it was excellent for towing.

suzyseymour

Visit site
Thanks Amanda, I'm off to get my calculator out! The reason we were going with the discovery is that we can get it much cheaper that going to a dealer and we know the history on it so we know it is in good condition. As my boyfriend has offered to chip in most of the money, I didn't take too much persuading to get that one! Well it would be rude not too
wink.gif

Albertina

Visit site
I have a Wessex Olympian trailer for my 17h IDxTB who is quite wide and he loads and travels really well in it with loads of room.

We also use mine to travel my friends Sec D Stallion (15h) as he has much more room than in her 505.

The thing I love about my Wessex is that the side ramp opens on the passenger side noth the drivers side. If for any reason you have to unload on a road your not taking your horse out onto the traffic
wink.gif