Trailer test next week - advise?

Peterpan132

Visit site
I have my trailer test next week - I have been having lessons from a friend whose a driving instructor, but im her guinea pig when it comes to trailer tests. I have also been reversing lots round our field

Does anyone have any tips on passing or can provide more info on what will be required - I'm starting to feel really nervous

Thank you!!

Dusty85

Visit site
Hi there- I took my test in November, as far as im aware the rules havent changed since then, although i understand they are bringing in a compulsory weight in the trailer.

So there are four parts to the test:

1- they will ask you a few basic safety questions about loading weights into the trailer and making sure its evenly distributed and safely loaded etc.

2. the reversing exercise comes first. (the tricky bit!) I cant remember dimensions, but there is basically a big rectangle marked out. You start in the top right hand corner and you have to reverse in an 'S" shape around some cones so that you end up in the bottom left hand corner, but this is in a marked bay as though you have parked it.
The back of the trailer has to overhang a marked area on the ground, but the wheels are not allowed to touch this marked area, otherwise you fail. You are also not allowed to get out of your car more than once else that is also a fail. You can only shunt forward to adjust your position once (i think!) or touch any cones, that also results in a fail.

3. You have to do a road drive that lasts about 40 mins or so. includes things like round abouts, pulling over to the side of road and pulling away again, junctions etc etc

4- you return to the test centre to uncouple and re-couple the trailer. and do all the checks as though it was a brand new trailer to you.

That is it! (Kidding- I found mine very stressful)

I passed first time luckily, the worst bit if definitely the reversing!

Good luck! feel free to PM if you have any more questions

Law

Visit site
There's lots of info on this website and they certainly used to have the layout for your reversing exercise on there too.
http://www.trailertraining-wales.co.uk/test.html

It's great being able to reverse until the cows come home, i was very competent at parking in awkward spaces etc but it took me about 50 hours of practice with the *actual* exercise to be able to pass, sadly :(

Good luck - it's SO worth doing :)

ROG

Visit site
The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
1 - VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM
2 - VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
3 - One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

Last edited:

CrazyMare

Visit site
Its really very easy - the reverse manouver is far easier than the reverse I have to do to get my trailer away every time!!

Reverse is an S shape into a bay, marked with cones. My only difficulty with that was the colour of the cone picked was the same as the floor paint!

Couple and uncouple, straightforwards - just do it the way they tell you in training. That did make me laugh though that you are allowed to move the trailer onto the hitch - I CANNOT move my trailer, so have to get it on the hitch!!

Drive is just like driving every day, following signs, and pulling over a few times.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I did not think it was easy as so many stupid things to go wrong. I did mine in a land rover and put it into off road low range 4 WD to do my reversing as the slower you go the easier it is.

lucemoose

Visit site
Don't drive like you are towing live cargo! This is a commercial test so drive safely to speed limits where the road allows and remember you are driving as if you are towing a properly loaded static cargo ie boxes or pallets. If you drive like you are towing old dobbin you will be penalised !

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
Google trailer test questions and view the direct gov website. I would also recommend practice, practice and more practice for the reversing exercise. If you haven't already measure and mark out the exercise with cones. The actual driving part of the test is fairly straight forward.

daveismycat

Visit site
Practice the reverse!!!! A LOT!!!!

I thought I had it nailed, but screwed it up in my actual test. The examiner gave me the option of stopping the test there but I did it as it was good practice for the second time. I only got one minor otherwise!!

Good luck! :)

ROG

Visit site
Google trailer test questions and view the direct gov website. I would also recommend practice, practice and more practice for the reversing exercise. If you haven't already measure and mark out the exercise with cones. The actual driving part of the test is fairly straight forward.
That is the part most fail on - the road drive

The reverse and the un/couple are set procedures which can be learnt but the road drive is different every time

AandK

Visit site
I managed to pass first time, just.. I nearly lost it on the reverse, got it perfect every time when practicing (had morning of lessons, test at 2.30pm) but in the test my nerves got the better of me (leg shaking on the clutch!) I took my second shunt forward, had a word with myself and then nailed it.. I found the drive the easier part, be aware of other road users, keep to the speed limits and as someone else said, don't drive like you're towing a horse! Plus use your mirrors, a lot!

Good luck :)

SuperH

Visit site
I got one minor for not accelerating fast enough out of a junction. I kept falling into the towing livestock mindset so try not to do that!

I drive a tractor and trailer for a living (so am reasonably confident and competent) and I found the whole test procedure very stressful and not to mention expensive. I did have a complete idiot of an instructor though. I think I would have been better without him. I'm quite bitter about the whole thing really but it had to be done.

Good luck let us know how you get on :)

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
That is the part most fail on - the road drive

The reverse and the un/couple are set procedures which can be learnt but the road drive is different every time

Well as I failed my reversing exercise twice I am sticking to my original post ;-)

ROG

Visit site
Well as I failed my reversing exercise twice I am sticking to my original post ;-)
My answer was based on what I get told from many trainers I am in touch with and they state that the road drive is the main area where fails are done

Is there another theory to do before you take the test or just the practical?
No theory at all - just the road drive/reverse/uncouple with a few questions
see page 1000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread - link below

Law

Visit site
I'm afraid I wouldn't say it's easy! the drive is NOT the same as normal. I took a wrong lane at a round about, if I'd have been in a car I'd have been right but with the trailer it was the wrong lane apparently. Also I had to take my test somewhere I'd never driven before which also made it more difficult, not knowing road layout etc.
my top tip is, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. if you think you've made it obvious you've looked in your mirror do it again anyway. your examiner HAS to see everything.

Law

Visit site
sorry for double post, on phone... the other thing is you can't account for other drivers. I had a incident where an enormous car transporter was unloading at a garage

Law

Visit site
damn it, not easy posting by phone! sorry. it was blocking the junction, I went round it as instructed by examiner and someone else tried to drive in the junction the other way whilst I was going round the hgv. (it was one of those double Decker, carries ten brand new car things) anyway, because my action caused the other car to do something 'different' I failed - I did what I was asked and couldn't account for the hgv parking in a junction on hatched lines and double yellow :(