trailer test - those who've done it

star

Visit site
did my training today. got my test in 10days time. any last minute tips?

instructor says it's fine for me to get out and look when i'm reversing back into the bay and getting the back of the trailer over the line, although only once, although my passing trailer test book doesn't mention it. guessing instructor must know best as he's put lots of people through the test. otherwise found it all ok.

kate081

Visit site
hmm - well i didn't get out but I'm sure your instructor wouldn't give u bad info. Did you ask if you'd get any faults for it? I know if you shunt on the reverse you get a minor. Was over 4 years ago I did mine though!

star

Visit site
he said i could do 2 shunts, didn't mention getting a minor for it.

i'm paranoid about going too far back and failing for going over the back of the yellow line so if i can get out and look then that's very handy! i'm sure he cant be wrong, but it seems too easy!

Stoxx

Visit site
I did mine 18 months ago and my instructor said the same. He also said you'd be silly not to check as you are allowed to, better to check just incase.
Just take your time and think everything through before you do it. My examiner kept saying things like 'are you sure you are happy with that' and it kept making me think oh maybe I haven't done it right but he just wanted me to say 'yep'. So don't be afraid to say that you are finished, they want you to be confident.

Good luck
smile.gif

star

Visit site
it's been 9yrs since i took my driving test - i'm terrified i'll fail it and probably on something really silly! i tow my trailer every weekend and have no probs reversing it, but find the exercise in the test a bit freaky as that cone goes out of view so quickly and you have no idea if you're gonna clear it or not until you're about to either go past fine or drive straight into it!

Stoxx

Visit site
I know what you mean! I found that as I long as I took the first part slowly and was really precise then I cleared the cone with plenty of room.
Just make sure you don't overcook the first part and then you'll be fine!

kate081

Visit site
well i did! I think the reason you can only have 2 shunts is coz 3 minors in the same box is a fail. It was 6 years between tests for me so not quite as long but I'm sure it'll be OK if ur used to towing. Seems sensible to check if its allowed - dont think I found that bit difficult. As you say it's that cone - my instructor taught me to work out at what point I needed to straighten by aligning part of the trailer with a fixed point in the car (does that make sense?!). Helped me loads. Had a thunder storm for my test with flash floods!! Good luck.

mle22

Visit site
So glad I don't have to do a trailer test - I've been towing for the last 30 years and while I'm good on the road I still can't reverse into a tight space - especially if someone is watching!!! Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be fine.

miketdt

Visit site
I advise my students taking B+E not to get out and look, as it will be recorded as a driving fault. My 4X4 and horsebox trailer is only 8.2 metres long therefore I advise them to open the window or door and just look out . You do have 90 cms in which to stop the rear end of the trailer in. With a horsebox trailer the wheels are close to the rear end, so if you stop as your rear trailer wheels touch the yellow raised area you will be well in the stopping area.

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I advise my students taking B+E not to get out and look, as it will be recorded as a driving fault. My 4X4 and horsebox trailer is only 8.2 metres long therefore I advise them to open the window or door and just look out . You do have 90 cms in which to stop the rear end of the trailer in. With a horsebox trailer the wheels are close to the rear end, so if you stop as your rear trailer wheels touch the yellow raised area you will be well in the stopping area.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a little box trailer that i'm doing the test with. total length of combination is 8.5metres. should be able to see ok if i just lean out the window though. dont want to get minors in the reversing exercise - saving them up for the road drive when i'm bound to pick up a few. thanks.

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.... does this mean you will be coming to Frensham for a ride when you have passed!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

try and stop me! got a couple of weeks off 2nd half of september so if i pass we can hopefully organise something then
grin.gif

Law

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I advise my students taking B+E not to get out and look, as it will be recorded as a driving fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get out and look once, and then need your two shunts i'm pretty sure that would be a fail.
I failed more than once
shocked.gif
twice for reversing problems
crazy.gif
In the end I spent literally 30 hours reversing in a week until I could pretty much do the reversing with my eyes shut, taking no shunts and not getting out. My advice would be practice, practice and then practice some more. You can get the layout for the exercise on the internet and map it all out for yourself. You should also be able to find a spot on your vehicle when you can see that you are over the yellow marked out box. If you've managed without the shunts then I would deffo get out and have a look. It's all down to how it goes in the real life situation. I stupidly jacknifed the trailer in my test having never, ever done that before in my life
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
smirk.gif
blush.gif

Good luck to you! You've done the best thing getting the instruction before even attempting (which is why I failed the first time, not getting the instruction)!