Trailer/towing - audible indicator 'noise has gone..

Fiona

Visit site
Any of the recent cars I have towed with (VW or Skoda) have had a loud extra clicking noise when using the indicators while towing, and I'm sure my new Scout did too when I first towed with it.

However last time I towed, the noise was absent.

I was worried and checked all the lights in case the trailer socket wasn't plugged in correctly, but it was, and all the trailer lights were working correctly.

Does that mean there is something wrong either with car or trailer?

Fiona

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You haven’t changed your lights for LEDs on the trailer have you? They don’t send a strong enough something or other (technical term) back for it to make it register. I rather like the peace myself.

Fiona

Visit site
You haven’t changed your lights for LEDs on the trailer have you? They don’t send a strong enough something or other (technical term) back for it to make it register. I rather like the peace myself.

Some are LED but have been since we bought it 18 months ago...

Fiona

Batgirl

Visit site
It's a legal requirement to have an audible indicator when towing.
I would suggest a loose connection if the indicators are actually working.

Annagain

Visit site
Try giving everything a good squirt of WD40. It cures many ills, especially where electrical connections are concerned. The other possibility is the fuse for the audible warning has blown, check your vehicle manual for a fuse plan, identify the right one and check it.

Alibear

Visit site
It's new to me that it was a legal requirement, so doing some digging so far it looks like as long as you can either, see the indicators from your drivers seat or have some sort of visual or audible warning, then you are fine.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 said
11. Tell-tale-

(a) One or more indicators on each side of a vehicle to which indicators are fitted shall be so designed and fitted that the driver when in his seat can readily be aware when it is in operation; or

(b ) The vehicle shall be equipped with an operational tell-tale for front and rear indicators (including any rear indicator on the rearmost of any trailers drawn by the vehicle).

Visit site
It's a legal requirement to have an audible indicator when towing.
I would suggest a loose connection if the indicators are actually working.

It's doesn't have to be an audible warning. My discovery has a flashing trailer symbol on the dash when the indicators are working but my L200 does a 'fast flash' but only if the indicators aren't working

Batgirl

Visit site
Apologies, you are correct!

However in this case it would seem that there is no other indicator that the lights may or may not be working so it still needs fixing.

Fiona

Visit site
Try giving everything a good squirt of WD40. It cures many ills, especially where electrical connections are concerned. The other possibility is the fuse for the audible warning has blown, check your vehicle manual for a fuse plan, identify the right one and check it.

Good plan... I'm about to go and hitch on now so I'll do that. Also need to check it on hubby car so I know for sure is it the car or the trailer...

Fiona