Trailer towing test- bad experience :(

Cdubs

Visit site
Hi all! Feeling very deflated as just spent £700 on a 2 day towing course (test included) and failed!
Don’t really want to pay for another course as can’t really afford it and I know I can pass it with more practice. So my question is has anyone had success using their own car and trailer for the test?!
The Gov website is pretty vague with regards to the requirements of the trailer and vehicle. I know I will need to find a ibc water container and secure it (somehow!) to be within the required load weight.
Really want to go it alone now and would like to use my car but would hate to be turned away at the test centre and lose yet more money!
Any advice and experiences welcome

luckyoldme

Visit site
The thing with training for any driving test is that you are not bring taught how to drive but how to pass a test.
Personally I would have a
word with your instructor and ask to have a resit with a lesson beforehand.
Do you mind me asking what you failed on ?

Branna

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, must be very annoying.
Can I ask what you failed on? Was it the manoeuvre or the drive?
I've recently done a 2 day course (5 hours day 1, 2 hours then test day 2) and passed, but I'm not sure I would have managed that with my own trailer and car - the instructor really had everything set up perfectly to make it super straightforward (painted marks on the trailer, hitch etc.)

Cdubs

Visit site
I've recently done a 2 day course (5 hours day 1, 2 hours then test day 2) and passed, but I'm not sure I would have managed that with my own trailer and car - the instructor really had everything set up perfectly to make it super straightforward (painted marks on the trailer, hitch etc.)

It was the manoeuvre. Just didn’t have enough practice on the course. The instructor was actually really bad both me and another guy doing the course with me were shocked with his training he just didn’t seem to care and wasn’t helpful! Didn’t have anything like painted marks on the trailer or other aids like I’ve heard from others. Which is why I’m really reluctant to go back!

Cdubs

Visit site
The thing with training for any driving test is that you are not bring taught how to drive but how to pass a test.
Personally I would have a
word with your instructor and ask to have a resit with a lesson beforehand.
Do you mind me asking what you failed on ?
It was the reversing manoeuvre I took too many shunts forward as got in a muddle. The course on the day was a lot smaller than we’d been practicing. The guy that trained us was really bad and I’m reluctant to go back!

stormox

Visit site
Most of my friends have used their own jeep and trailer, no painted marks or anything! You do have to have a weight in the trailer and everythig has to be road legal.

paddy555

Visit site
It was the reversing manoeuvre I took too many shunts forward as got in a muddle. The course on the day was a lot smaller than we’d been practicing. The guy that trained us was really bad and I’m reluctant to go back!

it doesn't matter what vehicle you reverse with, it is getting the reverse off automatically. Can I suggest you take your own car and trailer to a forestry or similar car park or even a field if you have somewhere and practise. Reverse on your own, take your time to work it all out as to how you are going to remember it. More trips if needed until reverse is just automatic.
Practise anything else you were a bit iffy on. Then shop around for a really good trainer have another lesson to revise on how to pass the test and go for it.

MissTyc

Visit site
I know a few people who failed the trailer test but passed after a bit more practice. Definitely find an instructor with whom you are comfortable. There are loads who do hourly lessons rather than full days so you have focus on those things that need a bit more work without breaking the bank.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Are you in Surrey? I’ve a friend with car and trailer who gives hourly lessons and seems very popular. (I don't drive trailer but my friends who do have typically been taught by her).

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Having recently had lessons with an instructor local to me, having never towed before!
In my 2 hour assesment, He was happy with my general driving that was test ready, and was shown the test way to uncouple/couple and the reversing. I was nailing the reversing by the end and he was happy Id pass that but needed a bit more on the coupling making sure I was checking the right things. But using his vehicle and trailer with marks on the wheel and trailer made it a simple thing to go backwards, ie it was turn the wheel to 9 o l clock til you see this mark on the trailer then full lock the other way, go straight then til this mark hits this mark then stop and get out.
In essence i only needed a few more hours practise to be test ready, the hardest part for me was going from a big wallowy diesel to a smaller petrol hatchback for the test!

Cdubs

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I think either way I will definitely do lots more practice with my own trailer and cones in the field. Would love to find a good trainer that could just do a couple hours lesson refresh but they seem to all be courses in Bristol which are expensive :(

Cdubs

Visit site
Having recently had lessons with an instructor local to me, having never towed before!
In my 2 hour assesment, He was happy with my general driving that was test ready, and was shown the test way to uncouple/couple and the reversing. I was nailing the reversing by the end and he was happy Id pass that but needed a bit more on the coupling making sure I was checking the right things. But using his vehicle and trailer with marks on the wheel and trailer made it a simple thing to go backwards, ie it was turn the wheel to 9 o l clock til you see this mark on the trailer then full lock the other way, go straight then til this mark hits this mark then stop and get out.
In essence i only needed a few more hours practise to be test ready, the hardest part for me was going from a big wallowy diesel to a smaller petrol hatchback for the test!
Your trainer sounds great!

luckyoldme

Visit site
It's madness that you only get so many shunts.
In real life I've seen folk get so hung up on not putting a shunt in that they damage something.
All I can suggest is practicing the manouvering on your own. If you can set it up somewhere or maybe ask round for a different instructor. If you are using your own vehicle then you would have to be very confident that it s all checked over and no lights , indicators, wheels tyres etc are roadworthy.
Not sure if this link will help.you at all
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/trailer-rules

Cdubs

Visit site
It's madness that you only get so many shunts.
In real life I've seen folk get so hung up on not putting a shunt in that they damage something.
All I can suggest is practicing the manouvering on your own. If you can set it up somewhere or maybe ask round for a different instructor. If you are using your own vehicle then you would have to be very confident that it s all checked over and no lights , indicators, wheels tyres etc are roadworthy.
Not sure if this link will help.you at all

it’s very frustrating when I can get it in a much more awkward spot in the yard!
thanks for sending the link I’ve seen this. Pretty sure my car is all ok would just be securing a load in the trailer which would be such a faff and not sure how I’d do it!
will definitely do some more practice in the field

Big Bay Mare

Visit site

I have also recently passed my B+E and I agree with this. I would never have passed with my own car and trailer. The instructor told me to look out for markers on the trailer they provided in the mirror and I managed to reverse in one go during the test. I tried the manouver with my own trailer the following day and completely cocked it up. Have a word with your instructor.

ROG

Visit site
Not sure if its still the case but ROG on here, the towing expert, was offering help and guidance if you were in his area.
Pity you are not in Leicester area as I would have helped for FREE

Often the best B+E trainers are the ones who are part of a LGV training school but there are many others

Test can be done with own vehicle and trailer but must conform to what is needed - see here =
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

What car and trailer do you have now?

Reactions: Kat

Afon_34

Visit site
I’ve just passed with someone in Swindon if you want any details? Did the 2 day course with test the next morning, instructor met me the morning of the exam for an hour before and went through things again. I have to say he was so fab as I was so nervous.

Cdubs

Visit site
I’ve just passed with someone in Swindon if you want any details? Did the 2 day course with test the next morning, instructor met me the morning of the exam for an hour before and went through things again. I have to say he was so fab as I was so nervous.
Oo yes please! How much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

Birker2020

Visit site
Can I suggest you take your own car and trailer to a forestry or similar car park or even a field if you have somewhere and practise.
This. When I first had my trailer my Dad took me out with my car and we went to an industrial estate on a Sunday morning when it was quiet and we managed to find a car park and practiced reversing in and out of parking spots.

In those days (1997) there was no trailer test and you could just acquire a trailer, stick your horse in it and off you go, even down a motorway if you wanted to. Not necessarily a good thing but you learn and you go along.

When I'd had sufficient practice reversing in and out of spaces and driving down country lanes my Dad came with me and my horse back to the same car park (things feel very different laden to unladen) and we practiced again and again.

A lot of car parks on Industrial Estates and the like, have barriers these days so it can be hard finding somewhere.

Cdubs

Visit site
Pity you are not in Leicester area as I would have helped for FREE

Often the best B+E trainers are the ones who are part of a LGV training school but there are many others

Test can be done with own vehicle and trailer but must conform to what is needed - see here =
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

What car and trailer do you have now?
Thank you for sending the info! Wish you were in my area! I have an Ifor Williams 506 and an Audi q3. The thing that threw me is that it says the vehicle needs to be a similar height to a car but it also says a horse box is ok!?

marmalade76

Visit site
Thank you for sending the info! Wish you were in my area! I have an Ifor Williams 506 and an Audi q3. The thing that threw me is that it says the vehicle needs to be a similar height to a car but it also says a horse box is ok!?

I think this means you can't take your test with a flatbed or tipping trailer, it needs to have some height to it.

ROG

Visit site
trailer be higher than the vehicle - just not lower