Trailer Training - Supporting rear of trailer when unhitched.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Ok Guys,
Drifter has not been in my trailer since we collected him so I want to start trailer training.

My trailer is usually parked in an awkward postion (to stop the *!!!*****s from stealing it like my last one) so it is easiest if I dont hitch up every time.

My OH has suggested that if we slip a Trolley jack under the back, which takes 2 ton, it will be fine to put ramp down and ask my horsey friend to partake of a scrumptious snack on the ramp then slowly work my way up.

Does this sound ok to you (there arent any drop standy thingies on it so I cant use these).

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I'm not sure, wouldn't the jack itself cause a potential hazard? I'm thinking big metal handle sticking out from the side of the trailer behind the ramp. I know it will be at the side, but it's easy for a horse to swing round there if it decides to play up. Also would be worried about the trailer actually being moved off the jack by the weight of a horse bouncing around?

F x

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
I don't think I would chance it - safer to hitch up even though it would be quicker/easier not to
crazy.gif

Also, I'm not sure the jockey wheel is designed to take the weight of the trailer plus load, they are very easy to bend
shocked.gif

dollyrocks02

Visit site
Hello, I've always been taught to NEVER have a horse in a trailer when it is unhitched from a vehicle. I can't say why this is - i guess for stability, but I've always had in my mind it was an absolute no-no. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I think you are right I didnt want to try it unless someone else had a +ve experience.

Correct trailer training is one reason I am not taking him to the vets for jabs,teeth etc it would be cheaper but

a) I dont want him rushed
b) I dont want his next trip to be to the vets I want it to be to a party.

It worked with Gully he didnt load as a 4 year old and by the time we finished he self loaded and I could go anywhere on my own. So looks like I will have to spend my evenings at the yard accosting every hunky bloke I can get my mits on Hmmh an interesting new hobby!!

LizzieJ

Visit site
I wouldn't rely on the jockey wheel to hold
crazy.gif
and what will stop the trailer moving if the horse goes nuts inside it? I can move my ifor on my own so a horse could easily shift it.

dollyrocks02

Visit site
Ha! well there you go, sounds like a plan to me!! Thought you said you had an OH tho (!
tongue.gif
)
My mare had never travelled in a trailer until the day we collected her in one!! Then of course had to start back from scratch with the trailer training, but as you know the time spent doing it is a great investment as like you I can now load her myself (well, she loads herself!) and we can go off on our own.
Good Luck with your new boy
smile.gif

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I absolutly do have an OH but dont want to tie him down he is not horsey and is having a s**t time at the moment he has been made redundant and the takeover firm are keeping him on for 6 months and he is not a happy bunny there so I figure anything I can do to give him space is worth it.

He doesnt know it yet but once I get my honey trailering I will want him to come to my first comp which I hope will be a pop round a cuddly XC course.

Hmmh that reminds me I need to do some Xc schooling too oh my gosh will it never end.

frannieuk

Visit site
Please don't try to load your horse with the trailer unhitched - the jockey wheel isn't designed to support the weight of the horse inside. I have seen one collapse with nasty consequences, and the horse banging his face badly as the trailer dipped forward. The jockey wheels are only made of tubular steel or alloy. If you want to load the horse with the trailer unhitched you will need to jack the front up too.