Trailer tyres inflator

dixie

Visit site
I bought it for my trailer and seemed to work. I’ve not had to use it properly yet though as trailer tyres were mostly ok, just needed atop up on one.

lannerch

Visit site
Thanks even if it just topped up the pressure it sounds like it will do the job, mine will not even turn on when attached to the trailer tyre .

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Proper trailer tyres require a higher pressure than normal car tyres due to the weight the trailer carries. It is important to ensure that when trailer tyres are replaced that the correct tyres are used as if car tyres are used there is a serious danger of a blow out. This is also important if you buy a second hand trailer ensure that the correct trailer tyres have been fitted.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We've got a 12v compressor which run off crocodile clips which we attach to the 4x4's battery. It seems to blow the 12v socket fuse if we run it through that, hence running it directly off the car battery. Works well, though. It won't be a current model, but a modern equiv would likely cost £40 to £50.

IIRC Ifor trailer tyres should be inflated to 60 or 65 psi which sounds alarmingly high to me, but there you go.

phizz4

Visit site
As Tiddlypom says, you can blow the electrics of the cigarette lighter socket if you use a tyre inflator for too long. They are fine for topping up the pressure but probably wouldn't cope with a full inflation. I use a Michelin one from Halfords which does high pressures. As stated, use crocodile clips on the battery if the tyre is at all flat.

lannerch

Visit site
I've got one that plugs into the socket in the car and works in all the tyres. I've a socket in the boot so I can reach the trailer even if it's hitched on.

Have your trailer tyres got a different sized valve to the car tyres?
No it’s the same size I think the pressure of the trailer tyre is too great for the pump to pump air in so to protect the motor it does not come on. It’s a rechargeable one but obviously only suitable for a car.

Have ordered the one Dixie said , my tyres only need a top up , and as I have a suv is more suitable anyway, my oh can have the original one in his car.

Thanks for all your reply’s .

GeeBee45

Visit site
The age old problem of trying to inflate tyres; car, 4x4, trailer or lorry. My preferred method is a Wolf 'Sioux' 240v air compressor with a 25 litre tank and a long (15m) reinforced rubber air hose. This unit will go up to 125psi, so will just about cope with large lorry tyres. The advantage of the tank is that the air is at a greater pressure than in the tyre and the motor feeds the tank so you're not asking a little 12 v motor to try and overcome a higher air pressure in the tyre from a standing start. The downside is that you need 'mains' voltage. To be fair I have a 8KvA petrol generator at the field so electricity supply isn't a major problem, unless I've forgotten to buy E5 for the genny!
There are some compact air compressors available on UK Home Shopping, follow the link below;

https://www.ukhs.tv/Tools/Garage-and-Workshop/Air-Compressors

The small compressors with the 6 litre tanks on them may well be up to the job, if you ring them and ask, I found them really helpful and when I bought the genny got a fantastic deal that wasn't listed on the web.

I used to have a 'Goodyear' branded 12v metal tyre inflator which I used for years until Mrs GeeBee managed to break the air hose coupling on. I converted it to crocodile clips and an in-line fuse as I found the cigarette plug got too hot and occasionally blew the car fuse. Gutsy piece of kit that even managed to top up the tyres on a 7.5 tonne box, but not recommended. It was a more basic version of this and came from Costco about 9 years ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodyear-G...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345018807971&psc=1

I've just bought one of these for mobile tyre pumping. It has to be fed via the crocodile clips attached directly to the battery and the suppliers recommend that the engine is running when the inflator is switched on!

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air-compressor-heavy-duty-portable-tyre-inflator-adventurer/

Brilliant bit of kit, which, in this format will easily cope with 4x4, trailer and lorry tyres, just be VERY careful when attaching to a lorry as 12v compressors don't appreciate being attached to a 24v system!

If your inflator won't start when attached to a tyre, because the pressure in the tyre is too great for the compressor you could try letting some air out of the tyre (say down to about 25psi) then letting the compressor build the pressure back up from there. Just be sure that your compressor will cope with this plan, otherwise you will now have a seriously deflated tyre! The other plan is don't attach the compressor to the tyre valve, start the compressor, let it run for a few moments, then attach to the tyre valve. This allows the compressor to start without having to work against a tyres' pressure.

Finally, just be glad you haven't got to deal with the little tyres you see on Eqitrek trailers, they run at 90psi so forget garage air lines and go for a tank fed compressor or the T-Max.

lannerch

Visit site
The age old problem of trying to inflate tyres; car, 4x4, trailer or lorry. My preferred method is a Wolf 'Sioux' 240v air compressor with a 25 litre tank and a long (15m) reinforced rubber air hose. This unit will go up to 125psi, so will just about cope with large lorry tyres. The advantage of the tank is that the air is at a greater pressure than in the tyre and the motor feeds the tank so you're not asking a little 12 v motor to try and overcome a higher air pressure in the tyre from a standing start. The downside is that you need 'mains' voltage. To be fair I have a 8KvA petrol generator at the field so electricity supply isn't a major problem, unless I've forgotten to buy E5 for the genny!
There are some compact air compressors available on UK Home Shopping, follow the link below;

The small compressors with the 6 litre tanks on them may well be up to the job, if you ring them and ask, I found them really helpful and when I bought the genny got a fantastic deal that wasn't listed on the web.

I used to have a 'Goodyear' branded 12v metal tyre inflator which I used for years until Mrs GeeBee managed to break the air hose coupling on. I converted it to crocodile clips and an in-line fuse as I found the cigarette plug got too hot and occasionally blew the car fuse. Gutsy piece of kit that even managed to top up the tyres on a 7.5 tonne box, but not recommended. It was a more basic version of this and came from Costco about 9 years ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodyear-G...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345018807971&psc=1

I've just bought one of these for mobile tyre pumping. It has to be fed via the crocodile clips attached directly to the battery and the suppliers recommend that the engine is running when the inflator is switched on!

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air-compressor-heavy-duty-portable-tyre-inflator-adventurer/

Brilliant bit of kit, which, in this format will easily cope with 4x4, trailer and lorry tyres, just be VERY careful when attaching to a lorry as 12v compressors don't appreciate being attached to a 24v system!

If your inflator won't start when attached to a tyre, because the pressure in the tyre is too great for the compressor you could try letting some air out of the tyre (say down to about 25psi) then letting the compressor build the pressure back up from there. Just be sure that your compressor will cope with this plan, otherwise you will now have a seriously deflated tyre! The other plan is don't attach the compressor to the tyre valve, start the compressor, let it run for a few moments, then attach to the tyre valve. This allows the compressor to start without having to work against a tyres' pressure.

Finally, just be glad you haven't got to deal with the little tyres you see on Eqitrek trailers, they run at 90psi so forget garage air lines and go for a tank fed compressor or the T-Max.
Very useful post thankyou

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Question numero uno: electric, off the car battery or own battery?

I am on a look out for my truck actually.
Anything modern with crocodile clips off the car battery is... well, cheap, tacky and feck only knows how long will last.
Anything off a socket... good luck.

Having a good look at this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FM5BLN6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ACA87LET2EARJ&th=1

Another thing to consider is a "classic" clip or straight attachment.

lannerch

Visit site

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When I had a trailer I always used the one I used for my vehicle. It plugged into the 'cigarette lighter' or accessory plug. The one I have I bought about 30 years ago & still works well. I have a compressor I use at home & this works well, it makes easy work of inflating lorry tyres which need to be at 90psi & 100psi which are higher than most normal car tyre inflators can cope with.

Cragrat

Visit site

Very comprehensive - thank you :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
The downside is that you need 'mains' voltage. To be fair I have a 8KvA petrol generator at the field so electricity supply isn't a major problem, unless I've forgotten to buy E5 for the genny!

Some cars have a mains socket in the boot area. OH's Tiguan, for example, has both 230V 150W and 12V 120W sockets; these can both be used at the same time, so long as the total current drawn does not exceed 300W (so says the manual).

GeeBee45

Visit site
Some cars have a mains socket in the boot area. OH's Tiguan, for example, has both 230V 150W and 12V 120W sockets; these can both be used at the same time, so long as the total current drawn does not exceed 300W (so says the manual).

I've usually found that the 'mains' power sockets in cars were only really for low power consuming items like lap-top chargers, small TV screens and similar. You also have to be careful as to what produces the power; 'pure sine wave' inverters are much 'kinder' to delicate electrics than 'modified sine wave' inverters, unfortunately the 'pure' units are usually much more expensive. Just checked on my compressor and it draws 1800 watts so the in-car 240v power sockets aren't going to work.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've usually found that the 'mains' power sockets in cars were only really for low power consuming items like lap-top chargers, small TV screens and similar. You also have to be careful as to what produces the power; 'pure sine wave' inverters are much 'kinder' to delicate electrics than 'modified sine wave' inverters, unfortunately the 'pure' units are usually much more expensive. Just checked on my compressor and it draws 1800 watts so the in-car 240v power sockets aren't going to work.

You make a good point, that you always need to check the wattage of what you plug into these sockets in a car.

I was in a DIY shop this afternoon and spotted a fairly compact Michelin branded compressor with a 6 litre cylinder for €134, model MBL6S. I can't find any information on current or wattage, but a very similar Einhell model is rated at 1100W, so higher than the socket in the Tiguan.

GeeBee45

Visit site
Question numero uno: electric, off the car battery or own battery?

I am on a look out for my truck actually.
Anything modern with crocodile clips off the car battery is... well, cheap, tacky and feck only knows how long will last.
Anything off a socket... good luck.

Having a good look at this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FM5BLN6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ACA87LET2EARJ&th=1

Another thing to consider is a "classic" clip or straight attachment.

I take your point about attaching things to car battery using crocodile clips. However, the T-Max compressor is anything but cheap, tacky or doubts over how long it will last. The crocodile clips are large and well insulated with strong springs to ensure a good connection. The wiring harness is of thick enough diameter cable to take the 45 amps that the compressor motor pulls when operating. The unit weighs in at a not insubstantial 9kg so there is obviously a lot of proper metal used in its' construction. The jury is out on how long it will last, hopefully a long time because it wasn't cheap!

Classic clips or straight connection? The choice is yours. By straight connection I'm assuming that you mean an 'Anderson' type plug and socket. The socket is connected directly to the battery clamps using heavy duty cables, the plug is stuck on the end of the leads to the compressor. They can carry a very high current (with the right cables) but are more commonly found on HGV 24v applications like trailer tail-lifts, although there is no reason why they couldn't be used on a 12v application. They have the advantage that connections can be made quickly between power supply and consumer. Crocodile clips are best for non permanent connections where power is going to be used for a short period and then the item disconnected.

Using the vehicle battery has the advantage that quite high currents can be drawn, although it is always best to have an in-line fuse between the battery and whatever your using. You can also run the engine (not in a confined space) to prevent the battery from discharging. Dedicated batteries for supplying power are good but you have to remember to charge them, nothing worse than a battery powered impact wrench for removing wheel nuts when you come to use it you discover that the battery is flat!