Trailer vs Horsebox

Angela_1987

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Would just like to get some advise on the best transportation for your horses. We're thinking of getting our own transport, as i want to start going out and about competing but are in two minds, as to get a trailer or a horse box .... I don't even know if there are trailers that can carry 2 17hh horses??

Any advice would help!!

Also what cars / 4x4s do you find best for pulling a trailer??

:)

Farma

Visit site
I have had both and if money were no object would have a lorry as its lovely to go to a show and have the luxury of somewhere to sit and get changed, have lunch etc, but for me it was expensive to run and maintain a second vehicle for such occassional use.
With a trailer you can use the 4x4 as your car which saves the running cost of a second vehicle. (If that works for you).
I used to carry 2 large horses in an ifor 510 and there was plenty of room for them, you will need a good towing vehicle as 2 big horses and the trailer are approx 2100kg. I had a jeep cherokee which was fine for towing but any large similar 4x4 is good.
Look up ROG on here who has done a thread where people rate their trailer/4x4 combos for more info.

ROG

Visit site
For trailer set ups check out the members vehicle and trailer combinations link in my signature below - they have been rated out of 10

Angela_1987

Visit site
Im only 24 but my boyfriend is in the army and has all the licences, as does my dad. But i would like to be able to transport them too, so will have to do the driving courses to get the licences.

ROG

Visit site
Im only 24 but my boyfriend is in the army and has all the licences, as does my dad. But i would like to be able to transport them too, so will have to do the driving courses to get the licences.
If you get a LGV then the suoervising driver MUST have passed the DSA test which covers that category of LGV and have had that category for at least 3 years - the free pre 1997 C1 LGV category cannot be used to supervise with

The B+E is a different matter because pre 1997 holders can supervise and you already have the B+E provisional on your licence (paper part)

You will not get 2 large horses into a 3.5 tonne horsebox weight wise so it would need to be in at least the LGV C1 class (3.5 to 7.5 tonnes)

There are plenty of trailers which will accomodate 2 large horses both for size and weight but will need a gutsy fuel using vehicle to tow them

There will be plenty along soon with the pros and cons of going down either route and it will probably end up being 50/50