Trailers Single Vs Double?

Joyous70

Visit site
I am considering my options for transport, I recently asked you about your preference for trailers or lorries.

I think im going to stick to a trailer as I currently have my towing vehicle so it will be cheaper to have a trailer rather than tax and insure etc. another vehicle.

Those of you who have single trailers, or have towed single trailers how do you find them, I have heard people say that they snake and are not safe if your horse moves around etc.,

Im not worried about taking two horses, as I only have my girly and my current tow car would struggle with two anyway, so its not the inconvenience of only being able to take one its more the safety aspect I am interested in.

:D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt buy a single trailer (and I rarely tow two either but find its good to have the option). Singles I think arent going to be as stable as double purely due to their width. I also find it very handy having the other side to store things for shows (box of spare rugs, extra hay, buckets etc.). Singles are quite hard to find too and to re-sell, whereas doubles hold their value and you can sell them easily.

If your car wont two much weight, look at a Bateson trailer - they're lighter than Ifors.

Joyous70

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt buy a single trailer (and I rarely tow two either but find its good to have the option). Singles I think arent going to be as stable as double purely due to their width. I also find it very handy having the other side to store things for shows (box of spare rugs, extra hay, buckets etc.). Singles are quite hard to find too and to re-sell, whereas doubles hold their value and you can sell them easily.

If your car wont two much weight, look at a Bateson trailer - they're lighter than Ifors.

:) thank you, its not the weight as much, as the stability I was thinking about, I am looking at the Bateson's as well as the IW's as you say the Bateson's are lighter, but I have heard good things about how well they tow, and less noisy than the IWs

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I always thought singles were like hens teeth to buy as they are so much in demand by people who are weight restricted with towing. We only ever tow one horse but use a double without a partition so we have plenty of room to tack up inside if the weather is bad. Also it gives him more room to balance as he likes rather than being restricted to where we want him to stand. I used to tow a single many many years ago, with a car, and didn't have a problem with snaking - that depends on the driving I think. Another plus with a signle was I could move it around myself once it was up on the jockey wheel.

Blythwind

Visit site
I have a single Ifor 401 which I love. It has never snaked or had any issues with stability (unlike an Ifor 510 that snaked once and scared me to death!). Horse likes it too, as its basically 1.5 of a double, and so she has much more room than in half of a double. You can tack up inside etc if you need to in wet weather. No one can ever ask you for a lift either :)

They are hard to find, and retain their value - so they aren't much cheaper than a double.

Joyous70

Visit site
I have a single Ifor 401 which I love. It has never snaked or had any issues with stability (unlike an Ifor 510 that snaked once and scared me to death!). Horse likes it too, as its basically 1.5 of a double, and so she has much more room than in half of a double. You can tack up inside etc if you need to in wet weather. No one can ever ask you for a lift either :)

They are hard to find, and retain their value - so they aren't much cheaper than a double.

I like the idea that the stall is 1.5 times wider than a standard double, yes, I know I could take the partition out of a double, but she doesn't need that much room.

Nice to hear there are no issues with stability. :D

Joyous70

Visit site
I always thought singles were like hens teeth to buy as they are so much in demand by people who are weight restricted with towing. We only ever tow one horse but use a double without a partition so we have plenty of room to tack up inside if the weather is bad. Also it gives him more room to balance as he likes rather than being restricted to where we want him to stand. I used to tow a single many many years ago, with a car, and didn't have a problem with snaking - that depends on the driving I think. Another plus with a signle was I could move it around myself once it was up on the jockey wheel.

Thanks again, another one who hasn't had issues with snaking etc. good to know :D

Fiona

Visit site

Totally agree..

I loved my IW single and sold it practically for what I paid after 4 years.

And that was only because I had met my now husband and we needed to take two horses out.

Fiona