Trailers, sizes and recommendations

orangegrace

Visit site
Hi all

Me and my friend are off looking for trailers this weekend ! We are very excited after wanting to get transport for the last 6 years !

However it is seeming a bit of a mindfield so wondering if anyone can help with the understanding of the below...

We have mainly been looking at the Ifor Williams trailers as these seem the most recommended. I have a 16.1/2hh ISH about 600kg and a 15.3hh tbx about 500kg and my friend has a 15.1hh cob about 650kg. We need something this is going to be capable of carrying both my ISH and her cob together. We have been doing our research but i wonder if anyone could shed some more light on the different between the trailers? We have looked at the 506, 510 and 511. So what we do know is the 506 is the older version of the 511 and both 506, 511 are the 'up to 17.2hh' trailers and the 510 is the newer version of the 'up to 16.2hh' version. Originally we dicounted the 510 as we wanted the roomier versions so give us that bit of extra space however on looking at the actual measurements they aren't actually any different in height, only width ?? Is that right ? And the difference in width only seems to be about 3 inches per horse wider? The only other difference I thought about was there maybe more 'turning space' at the front of the 506 and 511 and maybe a bigger ramp for making unloading the bigger horses easier ? is this the case ? Also would you recommend the newer versions ie 510,511 over the 505,506 ?

Any feedback, advice, experience greatly received !

thank you !

MuddyTB

Visit site
The 505 and 510 are the older models. The 510 being bigger for 2 x 17.2 horses. It is higher and wider.
The 506 and 511 are the newer ones with the 511 being the bigger.

506 and 511 will be more expensive so budget may come in to play.

I had a 510 for my 16.1 TB and loved it. Personally I think a well maintained older model is one of the strongest, best built trailers you can get. But shop around and look closely as some have not been looked after and have rotten panels etc.

doodle

Visit site
No that’s wrong. The 505 is the old version of the 506 and advertised as carrying up to 16.2 (but in my experience 16.2 horses are too big for it). The 510 is the old version of the 511 and carry up to 17.2.

Wheels

Visit site
Ifor Williams trailers are the most recommended because they are the most common and therefore have more people owning them. They are fine and do their job but they are not the best :)

Fautras and Bockmann are better trailers but more expensive so it depends on your budget

With the horses you have then an Ifor 505 or 506 will be fine, as will the the 510 and 511 although are wider and longer so sometimes the smaller horses can have too much space to move around.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Try looking at Bateson trailers, there is quite a range. We had the Bateson 'Deauville'. It tow lovely, it doesn't bounce about* it doesn't rattle like the Ifor Williams do. The rear ramp is shallow & the horse area is very light & inviting. There is plenty of head room & there are a couple of saddle racks up the front. If you need any parts their salesmen move heaven and earth to accommodate you & get the part to you quickly. We carried a 16h1 Hann x Thorobred plus a 16h3" Dutch Warmblood. They travelled well in the trailer. They hold their value well. Ours was about 6 months old when we bought it & I sold it 3/4 years later & lost very little on it.

orangegrace

Visit site
Try looking at Bateson trailers, there is quite a range. We had the Bateson 'Deauville'. It tow lovely, it doesn't bounce about* it doesn't rattle like the Ifor Williams do. The rear ramp is shallow & the horse area is very light & inviting. There is plenty of head room & there are a couple of saddle racks up the front. If you need any parts their salesmen move heaven and earth to accommodate you & get the part to you quickly. We carried a 16h1 Hann x Thorobred plus a 16h3" Dutch Warmblood. They travelled well in the trailer. They hold their value well. Ours was about 6 months old when we bought it & I sold it 3/4 years later & lost very little on it.

I have just had a look at the Bateson as I do like the look of them but the biggest capacity I can find is around 1400kg which isn't enough to play with really :(

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My 14 year old Ifor 510, owned from new, has just done another faultless 50 min round trip on appallingly potholed main roads with my lightweight short coupled 15.2 hh 520kg sports horse mare, who travelled very sweetly solo. The trailer is just as happy, probably more so, with two big horses up. There is plenty of adjustment in the placings of the breast and breech bars to customise the fit for a particular horse.

Folk do seem to like to diss Ifors, but there are very good reasons for them being such a common sight on the roads :). If you are going for an older model, make sure that it has been well maintained and serviced from new. The 510s stopped production in 2008. You wouldn’t pay more than 3k absolute tops from a dealer for a 510 Classic model, like mine (regarded as the best model they made).

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Make sure it isn't stolen, check the actual measurements as the cheaper ones are narrower, get someone to check the suspension, brakes and floor.

orangegrace

Visit site
My 14 year old Ifor 510, owned from new, has just done another faultless 50 min round trip on appallingly potholed main roads with my lightweight short coupled 15.2 hh 520kg sports horse mare, who travelled very sweetly solo. The trailer is just as happy, probably more so, with two big horses up. There is plenty of adjustment in the placings of the breast and breech bars to customise the fit for a particular horse.

Folk do seem to like to diss Ifors, but there are very good reasons for them being such a common sight on the roads :). If you are going for an older model, make sure that it has been well maintained and serviced from new. The 510s stopped production in 2008. You wouldn’t pay more than 3k absolute tops from a dealer for a 510 Classic model, like mine (regarded as the best model they made).
thank you ! thats really helpful !

PurBee

Visit site
I have an old sinclair ambassador. It had new floor, brakes etc when i bought it. Alu sides and it hasnt rusted in all these years! Chassis still very solid.
I dont suppose youll find many for sale now that wouldnt need work done but they are large trailers for large horses with plenty of room beyond the front bar for person to check on horses, as there’s a front door to the front section, aswell as a front ramp.
Very wide, tall and smooth to tow with 4x4.
Finding one in good nick these days would be the proverbial needle in haystack but worth keeping an eye out for a fully restored one...or allow in budget for new floor , brakes, handbrake, tyres....as they can be picked up cheap.
Whatever you buy...do get on the ground and thoroughly check for rust on chassis.
Dont buy anything re-painted to ‘look new’....paint hides a multitude of sins and rust pockets/filler.

EventingMum

Visit site
Ifor Williams trailers have a database recording ownership and you can check if a secondhand one is reported stolen via them with it's number shown on the weight plate and also on the chassis. Friends bought a trailer and after a few months got round to registering it in their name. Next thing they knew the police arrived and removed the trailer as it was stolen - the number on the weight plate was that of a flatbed trailer and didn't match the one on the chassis.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ifor Williams trailers have a database recording ownership and you can check if a secondhand one is reported stolen via them with it's number shown on the weight plate and also on the chassis. Friends bought a trailer and after a few months got round to registering it in their name. Next thing they knew the police arrived and removed the trailer as it was stolen - the number on the weight plate was that of a flatbed trailer and didn't match the one on the chassis.

Bu.g..s stole our Ifor Williams flat bed trailer off the back of our vehicle about 18 months ago at a farm sale, there was security there too "we can't be everywhere." I've heard of horse box trailers being stolen at horse shows too. So buy a wheel lock and put it on the back wheel, if it is on the front thieves can lift up the front wheel and let it run on the back wheels.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have really loved having my IFOR 506 (it isnt the first edition with the issues with the front) I love it because it can take a taller horse than the old 505's. It has been second to non with zero issues. The floor is superb and its very steady to pull. Sadly i am thinking about selling it as my horse is now retired. It is in amazing condition. I cant remember the year but i want to say 2013, Silver. If you are in the South East and this was the type you were looking for feel free to personal message me. It isnt up for sale as yet as i'll be very sad to see it go.

PurBee

Visit site
I like the design, theyre very roomy for larger horses
Ifor williams are great trailers too, i have a flatbed twin axle IW, but they are overpriced compared to other brands in the industry. However, due to popularity, IW spare parts are easier to find!