Trailers with living / horsebox

Hollyanna

Visit site
I have an Ifor Williams 511. I love it, but unfortunately my horse doesn’t like to load in it - I’ve had to take out the partition and put in a full width breast bar, which is annoying. She will go in with the partition in, but it can sometimes take a long time, which is stressful. I have a Ford ranger which I love and tows amazingly.

I started looking at an Equitrek with living as I have a little one and pony who will shortly be starting pony club, so handy for camp, and rainy days at shows BUT now I see really really bad reviews on build quality and I’ve gone off them.

Started looking at horse boxes (have my HGV) but can only afford and old one (circa 2000)…. Husband is concerned about money pit and doesn’t really want to sell beloved Ranger as it would no longer be required.

Looked at the Eventa (with no tack lockers) but they are a small fortune!!

P.s. don’t want a 3.5 ton as want to travel two horses ….. help - what would you do? Do I just carry on with ifor? I’m so confused and husband is sick of hearing about it!!

Hollyanna

Visit site
Also, she is terrified of going out the ifor front ramp (it’s dangerous as she shoots out) so we have to reverse her out (which she does easily and quietly). She travels very well once in, no stress or sweating. But all this adds up to me looking at other options - just wish the Equitreks didn’t fall apart 😭 as these really are ideal and I know she loads and travels well in them (previous owner had one)

humblepie

Visit site
I haven’t had one but OH has repaired a few and not over impressed but if your horse likes an Equitrek and you’re going in with eyes open then you could go that route - have it fully checked over particularly. The ramp struts seem to need replacing after a few years and aren’t cheap but nothing is. He’s mainly done their small lorries but imagine same applies to the trailers.

irishdraft

Visit site
My mare is a bad traveller and loader, I also have a ifor Williams which suits me. I took said mare to Jason Webb, he sorted out the loading & unloading issues and she now loads & unloads fine not so good the actual travelling but that's another issue. Maybe look at sorting the loading & unloading.

dottylottie

Visit site
have you tried travelling/loading her with the pony? she may be happier with company, which would solve the partition problem when you need to take both. might be a pain if you still need to remove it for just her though!

Hollyanna

Visit site
Will she load if you swing the partition over then just put it back once in? If she prefers backing out then just do that, you don't have to use the front unload.
Hi, I do open the back part, but haven’t tried both. She can still be funny with the partition removed, but it might be worth a Go, thank you :)

Hollyanna

Visit site
have you tried travelling/loading her with the pony? she may be happier with company, which would solve the partition problem when you need to take both. might be a pain if you still need to remove it for just her though!
Actually, I haven’t tried it, but it did cross my mind. The pony is a shouter, which might cause other issues, but saying this my horse isn’t usually too bothered. Thank you 😊

phizz4

Visit site
I would suggest trying a different trailer. Something lighter inside, maybe a little larger, open the jockey door before loading. Going from the bright outside into a dark narrow space can be a problem, as it takes a while for the horse's eyes to adjust, like ours. If she travels happily and backs out calmly then consider a Boeckmann trailer. Quiet, light interior, very smooth ride. Expensive mind!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’d take a lorry over a trailer any day for lots of reasons. Just wanted to say, don’t be put off by a twenty year old box- mine is just that and has been well maintained in the past even though it’s high mileage (has been a transporters lorry previously). You can always get Pre-purchase inspections to help limit money-pit potential, though arguably there’s always that risk with anything.

I went for one by a well-known coach builder with full aluminium floor which seemed to me to be a good bet on an older box…. Not regretting it yet!

ETA: search the forum for Equitrek threads, there’s plenty of interesting reading which should quickly cure you of any intention of buying one id think 😉

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I have an Ifor Williams 511. I love it, but unfortunately my horse doesn’t like to load in it - I’ve had to take out the partition and put in a full width breast bar, which is annoying. She will go in with the partition in, but it can sometimes take a long time, which is stressful. I have a Ford ranger which I love and tows amazingly.

I started looking at an Equitrek with living as I have a little one and pony who will shortly be starting pony club, so handy for camp, and rainy days at shows BUT now I see really really bad reviews on build quality and I’ve gone off them.

Started looking at horse boxes (have my HGV) but can only afford and old one (circa 2000)…. Husband is concerned about money pit and doesn’t really want to sell beloved Ranger as it would no longer be required.

Looked at the Eventa (with no tack lk lockers) but they are a small fortune!!

P.s. don’t want a 3.5 ton as want to travel two horses ….. help - what would you do? Do I just carry on with ifor? I’m so confused and husband is sick of hearing about it!!
i have an equitrek space trekka. I used to have a show trekka which was great. It was pretty old and I never used the hob or beds so thought i'd upgrade to a new space trekka. I'm not as happy with it as I was my older one. It's slightly smaller and isn't as user friendly, nothing wrong with it and it tows beautifully. I recently bought a new horse and he's never loaded in one before. He's finding going up the ramp and then turning quite tricky.

Hollyanna

Visit site
I’d take a lorry over a trailer any day for lots of reasons. Just wanted to say, don’t be put off by a twenty year old box- mine is just that and has been well maintained in the past even though it’s high mileage (has been a transporters lorry previously). You can always get Pre-purchase inspections to help limit money-pit potential, though arguably there’s always that risk with anything.

I went for one by a well-known coach builder with full aluminium floor which seemed to me to be a good bet on an older box…. Not regretting it yet!

ETA: search the forum for Equitrek threads, there’s plenty of interesting reading which should quickly cure you of any intention of buying one id think 😉
I have to admit I would absolutely love a small box, I just am terrified of making a mistake and it costing lots of money - I always seem to like ones that are just over budget 🙃. Deffo a aluminium floor is an absolute must….

I think I would be paranoid about an equitrek having read the stories, it would give me anxiety I think - it’s such a shame!

Britestar

Visit site
I've had an equitrek since 2005.
Don't have any complaints at all, you must look after them (like anything else), but a lot of people don't bother. Hence the problems.
If you never pay any attention to them then of course there will be issues. You might be able to ignore an Ifor maintenance for 10 years, but I bet if you really checked it out, there would be problems!

Horses travel really well in the Equitrek, and have stayed overnight more time than I can count.

Don't discount it just on hearsay.

Shoei

Visit site
I have a HBX511 with an awning.

My horse is a tricky traveler so I always have the central partition out and he travels fab! I also only back horses out because
a. a horse jumped on my legs years ago running out the front
b. my tack locker is in the front

For away shows I set up camp in the trailer or with the awning. The awning is fab! I can set it up on my own, have loads of space and it's generally where everyone congregates as I have a blow up sofa, fridge, hob etc.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love a lorry, but like you my husband worries about them and I do love my set up!

Britestar

Visit site
I have a HBX511 with an awning.

My horse is a tricky traveler so I always have the central partition out and he travels fab! I also only back horses out because
a. a horse jumped on my legs years ago running out the front
b. my tack locker is in the front

For away shows I set up camp in the trailer or with the awning. The awning is fab! I can set it up on my own, have loads of space and it's generally where everyone congregates as I have a blow up sofa, fridge, hob etc.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love a lorry, but like you my husband worries about them and I do love my set up!
Were you at Auchlishie this weekend?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My first Horsebox was a DAF FA45 130hp, it was a really nice built lorry but was really sluggish & going over some hills I was in 2nd gear. Eventually I had enough if it, sold it & bought a 7.5 ton MAN 180hp. It was built buy Tristar & I found it to be fantastic & did everything I wanted it to do. It was stalled for 4 ponies however I had an aluminium shelving unit it the stall nearest the living area, With a 180hp engine I had plenty of power to climb hills. t had air suspension that I could lower at the back so I could have the rear ramp more shallow for the horses should I have need it. I had cruise control which was handy to use on the motorway. The body of the lorry was aluminium so were the partition doors. My lorry had a payload of 2.2 tons so I had a payload that could actually carry 3 horses and this was only a 7.5 ton lorry. The lorry was a 2003 so not new by any standards but it was a great lorry. I've reached the age now when we no longer need a lorry, no competitions anymore so I sold the lorry. I actually sold it for £1000 more than when I bought it 5 years ago. Everything I have written here is the honest truth, these lorries are about, decide what you want then search for one that will give you virtually everything you want. I saw mine for sale on Ebay, it never sold but I got the owner's details & when I'd sold my lorry I contacted him & he's still got it. I went to see him & bought it off his drive. The only time it failed an MOT was when one of the front tyres had loads of tread but it was 10 years old so it failed (new regulations). I put a new tyre on it & I was back on the road again.

PSD

Visit site
I wouldn’t dismiss an older box, I have a 2008 3.5 and it’s a fabulous little box. Not using it currently as I’m having the ramp redone after friends horse broke it (swine to load). It’s high mileage (240k) but it was used as a courier van for the courts before it was converted. It’s been well maintained and runs like a dream, I’ll be selling it when the works done though as I’m lucky enough to be in a position to buy a newer one.

Alternatively, could you get someone out to help with the issues? There’s a brilliant guy I’ve seen circling social media, the horse shrink I think he’s called. Seen some fantastic results with him! I’m actually tempted to contact him myself as my pony doesn’t like to load.