Training a 4 year old

locl6

Visit site
Hi everyone!
I have finally gone for it and bought a horse of my own after loaning for several years.
Ive bought a 4 year old cob who has done nothing but hacking since being broken. i was just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting him going in the school? hes never been in a sand school, and has only seen trotting poles but nothing more. hes very forward and has a very good soft mouth so transitions are spot on. His head carriage is very high so would like to work on this and get him going in more of a soft forward outline. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Fides

Visit site
Do you have any previous experience with newly backed youngsters and schooling them? If not, perhaps an instructor would be advisable. Having had several youngsters, it's not really something you can give 'tips' on, experience is what counts. D you have a good support network?

locl6

Visit site
Ive schooled very green horses but not a newly backed horse. i have a very experienced instructor so i think thats the way forward. Yes, im on a very busy yard with lots of experienced and knowledgable people so perhaps they could help too. thanks very much! :)